• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3 Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Scythe Mugen 2, Xigmatek Dark Knight, Sunbeam core contact. Great cooling and good value. And then there's the TRUE, a little better than these three if you're willing to lap it but more money. For any of these you will need a case at least 8" wide as they are tall.

Last edited:
^^^ What he said. At stock, all of these coolers will act about the same (within 1 degree (Celsius) from the worst to the best). But, if you factor in a lapped and washer modded true, then it is buy far the best cooler. Then comes the copper True in the blue corner weighing in at just over 4 lbs without fan! This thing is quite beastly.

Any one knows if the Scythe Mugen 2, Xigmatek Dark Knight or Sunbeam fits in an Antec 300 case?
About noise, if you´re choosing towards to silence whitch of them would you choose?

Any one knows if the Scythe Mugen 2, Xigmatek Dark Knight or Sunbeam fits in an Antec 300 case?
About noise, if you´re choosing towards to silence whitch of them would you choose?

Yes they will. I have an Antec 300 case and a TRUE. All the tower coolers that use a 120mm fan are about the same height (156-160mm) and require a case at least 8" in. wide. The Antec 300 fits that bill.

I cannot comment about the noise issue. The TRUE comes in various retail packages, some for the Intel sockets and some for the AMD socket. It usually doesn't come with a fan but I think there is a package with a fan. The other coolers mentioned come with a fan so you can research the noise issue by looking at the reviews on NewEgg and the fan specs. Lots of modders ditch the packaged stock fan and go for something more potent but you could go the other way too if silence is important to you. The TRUE will take a push-pull fan setup so a smart option is to put a quiet fan on the front side and the back side and get roughly the same cooling effect of one more powerful but noisy fan.

Last edited:
I agree, try the stock fan on any of them and if it is too loud, just get a quieter one. That would be the best way to get it how you want it.

Back