• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oldschool member here looking for help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tweak486Dx2

Hey guys, its been a while since ive surfed these forums. I was a member on here back in like 2003 when I used to overclock my Barton 2500+ lol.

Here the deal, I got back into gaming a couple years back when Crysis came out, I built a pretty powerfull system with dual 8800gt's and a Q6600, it was all pushed and chilled to its limit and it still couldnt play the game at high settings at a decent Res (1680x1050).
I gave up and parted out the machine with the hope in the future that theyll be hardware out that will be able to breeze right thru the game a 70FPS+.

So heres what im working with now...its pretty sad.

Other then my laptops my only desktop is a OEM Sony Pentium D (smithfield) 2.8ghz X 2, Im going to throw in a psu and 4 gigs. No video card..

Im lost on cards these days, my limit is 225$.

So what will play Crysis? A Geforce 275 or a 4850? Maybe a 4870? How will these compare to my old setup?? Im hoping with all the Patches that came out that the performance has improved.

Thanks!

A Modern GPU on a P4 D??? I really wouldn't bother. Even with the fastest GPU I think that P4 would lower performance to less than that of your old system.

I remember Crysis not being very CPU dependent, when I switched from my Opteron@3Ghz to my Q6600 at over 3500mhz I saw like a 10fps difference.

I know its still a P4 lol, but I think paired with a Hot Rod card it wont be that much of a bottleneck.

Well I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions on O/C forums. I would say its a total no go. Things may have been better if you could heavily overclock your CPU but since your running a OEM Sony system, O/C options may be totally disabled.

I might be able to flash the boards bios to a Intel bios, but even still those P4's were heat monsters and im totally not going into the attic and pulling out old watercooling junk just to get 600mhx more.

This is my oem build. Its kinda fun getting stuff to play on older hardware.

I aggree it's fun to see what old hardware can do. I remember overclocking a 486SX/33 to 66mhz (100% O/C!) and getting it to play some avi movies, lol.

I'm sure you will get more opinions soon. Good luck!

Thanks!

I wish I could come across a E6600 or something cheap and used somewhere with a board. It would make alot more sense. I just dont want to get a new card and have it be a total fail from that P4.

Are you in the UK? I have a E6550 in my file server. I wouldn't really want to change boards but I could cut you a deal for the E6550 in exchange for your P4D. After all, a E6550 is a bit overkill for a fileserver

No sorry, sounds great but im in Florida.

That brings up a great point though, what Cpu's will drop into that OEM sony board? Maybe I could just ebay a new Cpu for cheap????

Will a Core chip actually work with that chipset?

Ok just found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

If you look under motherboard compatibilty (Just over half way down the page) It does say that even though your chipset supports Conroe (Core 2 Duo) your mainboard may not if it doesn't have the correct power delivery feature. Looks like you may have to find out what your mobo is and go from their. CPU-Z might be able to detect your mobo name and model

Thanks so much! The Sony is a VGC-RB52 model. WIll find all the info out tomorrow and post back here.

This is going to be a fun project.

I did once try a E5200 in it and it just beeped solid on me on startup. Not sure if thats a totally new chip though. The E5200 came from a customers computer.

Even if it doesn't, a modern quad core 45nm ready mobo costs $40 on newegg. Sure it's highly limited in OC options (like, anything but FSB...), but it works just fine.
Not exactly a huge outlay of cash to drag your computer into the modern era :D

I'd be really surprised if crysis did anything with a p4 of any sort, i tried 3dmark06 (i know, benchmark != reality, but still) with my e5200@3330 and my 4830 and got a 12100. With the exact same system but a p4(single core) at 4020 i get a 6900. My cpu score for the e5200 is only 3000 or so, meaning that i lose at least 1k (more like 1.5) per shader-type score. If a single core p4@4ghz can't even feed a 4830, you can forget about two of 'em feeding a couple high end cards.

No luck with Sony. After a fruitless google search I thought I would have a quick chat with Sony. This was the result

nohelp.jpg

looks like your best bet would be to borrow a core 2 and see if it works without wasting any money first. I would only try the 800FSB core 2's.

Thanks again for all your help. Could u possible tell me or link me on newegg to the best and cheapest mobo/ram combo to pair with the E5200? Are there any super cheapo boards out now that can take that chip to around 3300-3500Mhz +?

Back