• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nvidia 9800GT mod question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

visitkans

Hi all,

I recently got a Akasa AC03 blue cooler for my 9800GT Palit card.

Some site said they do fit, so took a chance, but there are 2 capacitors that are on the very edge of the fitting that prevents it from fixing it.

Is it a good idea to re-solder the caps with a little flex so that i can fit the cooler, my stock cooler runs at 50 no load and 80 load on folding.
also my flat mate runs ubuntu off a hdd he sometimes fits into mine for some testing, and the fan runs a big roar :)

I have experience soldering, but not computer parts, so just wondering if the solder used are high melting point ones.

My options:
1. any other better cooler fit for my card?
2 just leave it as is, 80C is fine.
3. Sell this card on ebay and buy a better card? in this case which one?

looking for some ideas guys.

pics would help... i would strongly suggest you dont mess with soldering on the card. its voids your warrenty obviously.

Get some pics you might be able to mod the cooler somehow.

Grab an Accelero S1 Rev 2 it will fit a 9800GT perfectly, I'm running one on my 8800GT (same card as your 9800GT just a different name) and it's great.

Thanks Special7, will send the other cooler back and get this one, do you feel the need for a fan blower on this, (turbo) or is the S1 suffice by itself for 24/7 op.

I have the side window open and have a 140mm fan blowing in.

I would strap some 120mm fans to it. The little fan attachment thing that you can get for it hardly moves any air.

I am running fully passive, idle temp is around 43C with load temps at max 60C but most of the games I play max at 52-54C. :) I plan on eventually adding a fan but there really is no rush as it does a fine job by itself.

Thanks a Ton for the ideas guys, i modded the heat sink to fit it, it was towards the corners, so i was lucky to cut a little portion of the aluminium fins (not the tubing :)), and modded it to fit in.

Now after a night of folding, my temps have reached 53C, prev used to cross 60+

Back