• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Motherboard question about 3 pin Y-adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marshmallow64

Hey I was wondering does anyone know if the 3 pin fan connectors can support 2 fans in a "Y" cable adaptor for my Asus M4A78T-E motherboard.

I know there are 3 of them, 2 labeled chassis fan, the other labeled power. At the moment I am assuming that the power one should be able to support more than one while the chasis ones are more weak, but does anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance!

You can, but then your pulling more power from somthing thats really only ment to power one fan. You will also only be able to get the RPM data from one of the fans.

It would be much better if you powerd the fan from Molex.

Is there any reason you want to do it this way?

Its mainly for cable management and the fans I have in front are yate loons which I have already got rid of the molex part and they only have a 3 pin part now.

So unless I want to rewire the fans and make them molex I have to go witht he Y adapter for now. But I heard that sometimes if it draws too much power it isnt safe. Thanks for the fast reply!

I have run two 80mm LED fans of a 3-pin mobo connector with a Y-splitter in my old case. Worked fine but I have no idea what sort of load they can take. I say use a molex to play it safe.

ppic-MAXI--525molex3.jpg

No need to re-wire anything, you'd just need some of these adapters.

question for you guys, you see the picture zbo posted above me? I have 3 or 4 of those but I am wondering is there a fan splitter cable just like the one in the picture, using the newer power modular tips?

any1 see anything? I need 3 or 4 with the newer style power adapter.

thanx

That mobo has fan headers rated at .35 amps, so as long as the two fans are no more than .15 amps each you should be fine. I'm doing the same thing with an HTPC build i just started. I'm using the same MOBO as you but I only have 80 mm fans 2 intake going to 1 header and 2 exhaust going to 1 header. My fans are Nexus that are rated at .15 amps max. so two of them together is .3 amps.

The info is on page 2-31 of owners maunal

That mobo has fan headers rated at .35 amps, so as long as the two fans are no more than .15 amps each you should be fine. I'm doing the same thing with an HTPC build i just started. I'm using the same MOBO as you but I only have 80 mm fans 2 intake going to 1 header and 2 exhaust going to 1 header. My fans are Nexus that are rated at .15 amps max. so two of them together is .3 amps.

The info is on page 2-31 of owners maunal

Thanks! excellent information. I am running 2 low speed yate loons on the y-adaptor each use up .3 I believe. =( What I am wondering is whats the difference between the chasis fan and the power fan. It did not really specify in the manual.

The "power" connector is for connecting the RPM data wire that some PSU's have. Although you don't have to use it for that reason.

Back