• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have AMD Got Anything Else In Store For AM2+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Reason I ask is because I was looking at my motherboards CPU support list and it supports most of the PII line http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2800 I was looking at a 945 due to it matching my current 9550's 95w usage.

See this board has been knowning to have trouble with 125w CPU's even thou Gigabyte say it can do them I didn't want to gamble and I got a 9550 mainly due to the lower P usage and at the time cash. The Phenom II X4 945 has 3000Mhz 512KBx4 6MB Deneb 45nm C2 95W 4000 specs would be a nice upgrade Amazon.Co.Uk sell them for £160 I reckon I could get a few £'s for my 9550 it's only 4 months old and never been OCed.

I was wondering have AMD got any plans for any new even lower power CPU's in the last Q of 2009.

I dont think AMD is going to do any more AM2+ CPUs since AM3 has backwards compatibility. They should have some lower power CPUs planned coming out though.

Agreed! I think we've seen the last of the AM2+ CPU's. But the only real difference between AM2+ and AM3 CPU's is the option of running DDR3 RAM. All AM3 CPU's can run both DDR2 and DDR3 whereas AM2+ CPU's are limited to DDR2 only ...

No.
As others mentioned AM3 cpus are backwards compatible all the way to AM2 (if the pwm can take it and you can find updated BIOS for the mobo) so there is no reason for AM2 cpus.

There will be L3less quads with lower TDP, and sooner or later a new stepping will come for Ph2 with likely higher clocked energy efficient models as well, the current ones aren't bad either doing 3G around 1.2V.

No.
As others mentioned AM3 cpus are backwards compatible all the way to AM2 (if the pwm can take it and you can find updated BIOS for the mobo) so there is no reason for AM2 cpus.

There will be L3less quads with lower TDP, and sooner or later a new stepping will come for Ph2 with likely higher clocked energy efficient models as well, the current ones aren't bad either doing 3G around 1.2V.

Thats why I ask because I dont see the need to get an AM3 board, CPU and DDR3 memory when I can just upgrade my BIOS and get a PII and up the anti a little.

The 940 is the highest model you'll get on a AM2+ system.. No more for future! Of course, if you're looking at upgrading normally, grab a 955 perhaps? I notice your 9550 already, so makes sense for a decent upgrade :p. (assuming you want to stick with quad). There's also the 945, a step down.. But for the price difference you'd just grab the 955 anyway.

Since you already have ddr2 ram and a mobo, budget wise you can just get a good AM3 cpu and just swap the cpus and you are good after a bios upgrade. DDR3 is just for future upgrades.

Since you already have ddr2 ram and a mobo, budget wise you can just get a good AM3 cpu and just swap the cpus and you are good after a bios upgrade. DDR3 is just for future upgrades.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/AMD-...3-30GHz-8MB-Total-Cache-HT-2000MHz-95W-Retail

Heres what I am going for only it's pre-order only at this time but I aint going to risk buying a 125w CPU when even thou this board supports it I've read a few forums when I was reviewing it that it has slight trouble with 125w CPUs.

So I'm going to buying the 945 AM3 next week thou At 1st I didn't think an AM3 CPU could fit into a AM2+ I thought you had to purchase AM2+ design Phenom II's :confused:

Thats why I ask because I dont see the need to get an AM3 board, CPU and DDR3 memory when I can just upgrade my BIOS and get a PII and up the anti a little.

The advantage DDR3 offers on current platform is too little to use it anyway.Link

Here is the cpu support list for your mobo, it is tested up to 955, I hope it helps to decide. Link

You could get a 125W cpu like the 955 and undervolt the cpu if you experience problems (it could do stock clock around 1.2V even mild ocs could be done while slightly undervolted), but what for if you won't be able to push it that far anyway.
Maybe you could sink the pwms that could help a bit.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/AMD-...3-30GHz-8MB-Total-Cache-HT-2000MHz-95W-Retail

Heres what I am going for only it's pre-order only at this time but I aint going to risk buying a 125w CPU when even thou this board supports it I've read a few forums when I was reviewing it that it has slight trouble with 125w CPUs.

So I'm going to buying the 945 AM3 next week thou At 1st I didn't think an AM3 CPU could fit into a AM2+ I thought you had to purchase AM2+ design Phenom II's :confused:

Nope! All AM3's (for the moment) will run in compatible AM2+ boards, usually after a bios update. There is no 'AM2+ PII' apart from the first, the 940, which is AM2+ ONLY, and will not run in an AM3 board.

I would've said go the 955, but I notice the price difference on newegg is like 30-40 bucks, which is enough to be a deal decider. Goodluck with the new core and let us know how you go with it!

EDIT: DOH! Just realized you're UK and newegg doesn't apply XD. Nevermind my foolish ramblings.. :p

Nope! All AM3's (for the moment) will run in compatible AM2+ boards, usually after a bios update. There is no 'AM2+ PII' apart from the first, the 940, which is AM2+ ONLY, and will not run in an AM3 board.

I would've said go the 955, but I notice the price difference on newegg is like 30-40 bucks, which is enough to be a deal decider. Goodluck with the new core and let us know how you go with it!

EDIT: DOH! Just realized you're UK and newegg doesn't apply XD. Nevermind my foolish ramblings.. :p
And it's locked brother, the 920 ... ;)

Back