• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my current psu enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

i dont know if this is a psu issue or not but it never hurts to ask, basicly when ever i go into my bios and save any settings i change, sometimes it will just lose power and then power back up and start normally however sometimes i will save the settings and it will shut down and just powerup then power down, it will do this until i hit the power switch on the psu and let stay off for a minute or 2, the psu is a 650 watt powering all my case fans on my antec 900, e8400 cpu, dual ati 4850 video cards in crossfire and a coolermaster v8 cpu cooler and 2 hard drives

650w what brand/model? Most newer boards do what you're describing when you change settings so I'm pretty sure what you're experiencing is normal.

its a antec neo power blue, also my motherboard is a few months old i would think that if that is something a new motherboard does shouldnt it have stopped by now?

Thats normal in the bios. Mine does it as well. It just doesnt like some setting you are putting in there is what I took from it.

But any name brand PSU should power what you have. I highly doubt its the PSU. Look at my PSU. Im sure we are using about the same power seeing as how I have a quad but single GPU (and Im volt modded) and it does just fine and then some.

My Asus board does the same thing and so do systems I've build with Gigabyte boards.

Thats normal in the bios. Mine does it as well. It just doesnt like some setting you are putting in there is what I took from it.

But any name brand PSU should power what you have. I highly doubt its the PSU. Look at my PSU. Im sure we are using about the same power seeing as how I have a quad but single GPU (and Im volt modded) and it does just fine and then some.

i guess so, i just tried my first overclock just changed the settings a little, i also got some sort of error message from the bios saying that the settings showing are not the same as the values currently set or something like that

Nope b/c you didnt mention anything of what you did :). What are you trying to do? What are your stock settings on things?

Nope b/c you didnt mention anything of what you did :). What are you trying to do? What are your stock settings on things?

i will try and post in the right section with the stock settings and go from there :) but thanks for your help

Antec power supplies do seem to have had their problems:
http://www.pjrc.com/about/rambling/antec.html

If your psu is out of warranty you could open it and examine the capacitors:
http://www.capacitorlab.com/index.htm

Geoff,

The Antec 650s are not part of this older problem, the capacitor issues have been fixed with the 650w Seasonic OEM builds.

The Antecs in question with capacitor issues are the older Smart Power, True Power and I think the NEO HE 550w and smaller CWT models.

However, this model Antec is only fair, run of the mill after Oklahoma Wolf's review here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=117

As mentioned by others above, I don't think it's a power supplly issue, it looks like more of a BIOS/Overclock settings issue.

Back