Memory
Forum Jump

Can't get 4gb ram to work in p5b deluxe

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 05:31 PM Thread Starter   #1
Jizzzared

Can't get 4gb ram to work in p5b deluxe

Hi all,

So I've been running 2gb of ram for a few years and finally bought a 4gb (2x2gb) kit of OCZ platinum 8500 low voltage ram. I'm using it in an Asus P5b Deluxe rev 1.

I can get either stick to work flawlessly, but no matter what I try, my computer freezes on initial screen that says p5b deluxe, before I can get to the bios or anything when I have both sticks in.

I've tried the northbridge voltage from 1.25-1.65, relaxed timings to 6-6-6-18, changed memory voltage from 1.8-1.95, tried all the different memory slot options and used just about every combination of these different settings together. Nothing seems to work.

Is it my motherboard? My bios? What could be the issue? I am frustrated, especially because both pieces of ram are working, just not together as I need them to be. Thanks for any help in advance guys!

Oh, and just to give all the information possible, I'm using my p5b deluxe in conjunction with a silverstone st56zf, a geforce gtx260, intel e8500, and ocz vertex harddrive.

Silverstone ST56ZF
yamaha rx-v2400, crown xls-402
Salk/Ellis 1801's, Rythmik F15 15" servo sub
Jizzzared is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-30-09, 09:05 PM   #2
CGR

10 Year Badge

Did you set your machine to all default settings? The memory may not like your OC... Also, is there a memory compatible list for that board? Could be its not 100% compatible.

HIS 4850 680/1108.................................................. .............Nvidia 7600GT
WD VRaptor 300gb/Seagate 1TB..........................................Raptor 74gb/Seagate 200gb
OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

CGR is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-30-09, 09:21 PM Thread Starter   #3
Jizzzared

Thanks for the reply CGR. It turns out my bios was incompatible with 4gb ram and my E8500. The most recent bios addressed that issue specifically and everything is running smoothly now. Thanks again.

Silverstone ST56ZF
yamaha rx-v2400, crown xls-402
Salk/Ellis 1801's, Rythmik F15 15" servo sub
Jizzzared is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-31-09, 12:03 PM   #4
RJARRRPCGP

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzzared View Post
Hi all,

So I've been running 2gb of ram for a few years and finally bought a 4gb (2x2gb) kit of OCZ platinum 8500 low voltage ram. I'm using it in an Asus P5b Deluxe rev 1.

I can get either stick to work flawlessly, but no matter what I try, my computer freezes on initial screen that says p5b deluxe, before I can get to the bios or anything when I have both sticks in.

I've tried the northbridge voltage from 1.25-1.65, relaxed timings to 6-6-6-18, changed memory voltage from 1.8-1.95, tried all the different memory slot options and used just about every combination of these different settings together. Nothing seems to work.

Is it my motherboard? My bios? What could be the issue? I am frustrated, especially because both pieces of ram are working, just not together as I need them to be. Thanks for any help in advance guys!

Oh, and just to give all the information possible, I'm using my p5b deluxe in conjunction with a silverstone st56zf, a geforce gtx260, intel e8500, and ocz vertex harddrive.
The motherboard may have changed the RAM divider to the wrong RAM to FSB ratio when it detected more RAM.

Where I come from "Z97" is a radio station
-ICH10R
- eVGA GeForce GT 640-Antec VP-450

" holy cow!! you find a rat in there too!?!?!? " -turbohans
"Reinstall winders." -jivetrky
"I think I am going to need another coke before I start this up." -cadman420
"Soon Windows will be 50 gb! lololol" -Tokae
"NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA."
RJARRRPCGP is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-31-09, 12:04 PM   #5
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
The motherboard may have changed the RAM divider to the wrong RAM to FSB ratio when it detected more RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzzared View Post
Thanks for the reply CGR. It turns out my bios was incompatible with 4gb ram and my E8500. The most recent bios addressed that issue specifically and everything is running smoothly now. Thanks again.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Memory
Memory