• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap gaming build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marluce

Im looking to build a cheap-decent gaming build for around or under 400$. I already have ram, HDD, a case and a monitor all i need is a CPU, PSU, Video card and MB. Id like to use the 4870 1GB video card (150$ right there) any dual core or better AMD CPU, and the Dark knight to sit on that cpu (50$).

I will be OCing.
Will be mostly playing Aion (Hopefully at max settings),
and a few FPS (Crysis etc) / Fallout 3 :p

What can you suggest for a CPU/MB/PSU?

Have this MB and CPU in mind but not sure..
MB : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157160
CPU : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103687

One last thought: Will that CPU bottleneck the 4870?

Thanks much!

This is a little over budget, but after $30 worth of mail in rebates it's at $414.

CPU + Motherboard: Link
$259.99 - $10 MIR

GPU: Link
$139.99 - $20 MIR

Cooler: Link
$40.09

Edit: Didn't see that you needed a PSU also. That kind of blows this build out of the water. But that's a pretty good deal on that motherboard and CPU. I'd be hard pressed to pass that up.

Edit 2: The CPU may or may not bottleneck the 4870. It'll depend largely on what resolution you're playing at. The lower the resolution, the more the CPU makes a dramatic difference. That said, were you to overclock the Phenom II X2, it would probably suffice. I'm a tad bit biased against dual core processors, however. After using my Quad, I'd never go back. My E8400 pegs all the time, but the only time I peg my Q6600 is if I do it on purpose. If you're using it solely for gaming, a higher clocked dual-core will usually win out. But for heavy processor usage, the quads are the way to go.

Last edited:
1280x1024, and i plan on overclocking it 3.6+
This is what i have on the board for thought at the moment.

Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz OC to 3.6+ (68$)
XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC a bit (150$)
Rosewill Green Series 530W 80 PLUS certified (60$)
XIGMATEK Dark Knight (45$)
ASRock K10N78M AM3/AM2+/AM2 (55$)

About 378$ give or take tax+shipping

Should i get a better cpu? or will that do? ( system will be used for internet browsing and 8+ hours of gaming a day )

Trying to save as much money as i can here.

Can currently play Crysis on Med-high settings with a P4 3.33Ghz + Radeon HD 2600 @ 1280x1024.

Everything should work fine for you... I think I'd stay away from the Rosewill PSU though. This thread here has a good list of PSUs that have been rigorously tested.

Edit: If you can afford either the X3 720 or the X4 955, do it. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! ill try and get the 720 in there..

You've been a great help.

Whats the difference between black edition and non-black edition?
710 vs the 720 because i could just OC it to save 20$

Couldn't find a difference other than speed (2.6GHZ to 2.8GHZ )

Last edited:
The black edition has an unlocked multiplier, which means you can overclock the snot out of it. Basically, you can go as high with the FSB multiplier as you want, which means that the FSB isn't going to be your weak point.

Gotcha, think I'm settled in with a 720 and a decent motherboard. And with SB750 to possibly unlock the 4th core.

Cheers and thanks again, that's all i needed ^.^

Back