• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD and folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

visitkans

Posted this in the SSD section, but as its related to folding, am going to post it here as advised.

Got my OCZ core series V2 SSD 2 months ago, and now looks like its slowly showing common pitfalls of SSDs.

Win7 RC seem to get stuck when there is a simultaneous read and write op.
So i moved all Temp files and Firefox cache and profiles to my seagate drive.

SSD has only OS and apps, so when folding happens, it writes to the log file in the user appdata directory, its a bit annoying to use it during that time.

Are there any options to speed up the drive (without a full zero fill).

OR

how do i change the log folder from the SSD drive to another drive.

sounds like you need to move it to the other drive... though with its being a SLC drive you shouldnt be having problems like that, i wonder if something else is going on maybe?

Win7 RC seem to get stuck when there is a simultaneous read and write op.
So i moved all Temp files and Firefox cache and profiles to my seagate drive.

SSD has only OS and apps, so when folding happens, it writes to the log file in the user appdata directory, its a bit annoying to use it during that time.

Are there any options to speed up the drive (without a full zero fill).

OR

how do i change the log folder from the SSD drive to another drive.

Ya, using an SSD for temp files etc. is a waste as last I heard they were only good for 100K writes per element. Great for OS and apps as you said but temp stuff etc. should be on a HDD. If I find something I'll post it up as I'd like to get an SSD but it's not worth the money ATM for housekeeping duties.

Thanks for the replies all, i have turned indexing off, also used the OCZ SSD app that somebody developed to tune win7 for SSD performance, so have done all what i can think off.

How do i move the folding log to write to another drive? it did not ask me for any options during install, are there any parameters that i can start the folding GPU app with?

you are more then likly going to have reinstall it to the other drive. another option is if you have enough ram, make a ramdisk to store FAH on.

Back