• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ssd vs cheaper x58 mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

I am currently in the process of upgrading to an i7 system, and was planning on get ting a $300 motherboard such as the p6t deluxe / ex58-ud4p....but am now thinking of spending less on the motherboard and get an ocz vertex and use it as a boot drive...and buy a cheaper motherboard. Like the ut the8 or asrock super computer or the normal p6t.....what would give me a higher performane increase in general?

What are the plans, as far as, GPU/s and Overclocking. Will this mostly be for gaming?

The motherboard won't really aid in increased speed, unless you're judging by their OC potential. If you want a board that will OC well, typically they're more expensive no matter what the socket. Personally, I'd just wait for SATA III to hit, that's when SSDs will really take off. i5 should be out then too.

IIRC, SATAIII is coming with the release of i5, so some time in early Fall I would expect. The boards will have native support off the bat, but cards may come out as well. Not too sure on that.

The board in i7's case doesnt play a huge role in overclocking like it does with 45nm S775 Quads.

SATAIII, IIRC also, comes with i5.

Personally I would get a cheaper board and a SSD. That HDD is going to make more of a difference then 100-200Mhz difference you might get from a high end board vs mid/low with air cooling.

Back