• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for sound card for gaming and music with PCI interface

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tiltowait

Hi! I'm new to the forums. I found these while trying to solve the problem detailed in the title of the thread. You all sound like you know what you're talking about, so here I am!
I've got a set of speakers on hand that aren't being used. I'd like to hook them up to my computer, but I've got no technical skill in this area yet. Here are the speakers:
Yes. These are they. I know, pretentious, right? But cherry red is also faster.
You may have arguments against using those speakers, but they're cheaper than anything else because they came cheap and I didn't buy them, so I thought I'd try to put them to use.
The conundrum: I'm blocking my PCI-E x1 slot with a video card, and I intend to crossfire the video card in the future, so I can't just use the other x16 slot. The K9A2 MoBo I'm using (see my sig) only has the one x1 slot right beneath one of the two better x16 slots.

So I'm looking for a sound card that won't choke my games, does 5.1, has an interface that can hook up to some receiver, and fits into a PCI slot. If it's cheaper, that's good too.

I also need to find a receiver, but that's another detail I can work out later.

Thanks for all of your help!

#1) Auzen Xfi Prelude

#2) Xonar D2/PM

#3) Auzen Xplosion Cinema
(Worst EAX support of the 3, worst sound quality- but beats rivals at its price and is cheap)

Your best choice is the prelude. Excellent circuitry, XFI chip, hardware EAX support with built in RAM on the card, all the ins outs you could want, and the comfort of knowing you have an Auzen. They are godlike.

Im somewhat of a soundcard wh*re so if you need more help let me know.

Remember whatever you choose- if you plan to pipe to a receiver/amplifier you don't need to preamp and a card with expensive OPAMPS is pointless. It never hurts to have options though and that's something I would NOT take into consideration.

On an unrelated note you know your CPU is too slow for your GPU right?

Last edited:
I'd go with the Asus Xonar series. My choices would be (Most expensive first) so that depends on your budget.

1> D2
2> D1
3> DS

By the way they are a cool set of speakers mate. I'm after some surrounds for my Dolby Pro-Logic setup, I might look into those.

Oh, and Welcome :welcome: to O/C Forums

#1) Auzen Xfi Prelude

#2) Xonar D2/PM

#3) Auzen Xplosion Cinema
(Worst EAX support of the 3, worst sound quality- but beats rivals at its price and is cheap)

Your best choice is the prelude. Excellent circuitry, XFI chip, hardware EAX support with built in RAM on the card, all the ins outs you could want, and the comfort of knowing you have an Auzen. They are godlike.

Im somewhat of a soundcard wh*re so if you need more help let me know.

Remember whatever you choose- if you plan to pipe to a receiver/amplifier you don't need to preamp and a card with expensive OPAMPS is pointless. It never hurts to have options though and that's something I would NOT take into consideration.

On an unrelated note you know your CPU is too slow for your GPU right?

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Actually, I didn't know that my CPU was too slow for my GPU. I'm making this compy better in stages, so a new CPU comes soon...just not now. I hadn't read anywhere, of everything I read, that one's video card depended on the speed of the CPU. It makes sense, though. At any rate, I'm pretty sure I've got plenty of overclocking room left in it. The previous limiting factor was the memory, which I think was 433MHz, and I haven't continued the procedure since upgrading the RAM.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Actually, I didn't know that my CPU was too slow for my GPU. I'm making this compy better in stages, so a new CPU comes soon...just not now. I hadn't read anywhere, of everything I read, that one's video card depended on the speed of the CPU. It makes sense, though. At any rate, I'm pretty sure I've got plenty of overclocking room left in it. The previous limiting factor was the memory, which I think was 433MHz, and I haven't continued the procedure since upgrading the RAM.

Your CPU is just fine, unless you are playing at 1280x1024 or something.

When you're ready, head over to the CPU/GPU sections and we'll get ya hooked up :beer:

Back