• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D-Link is piece of crap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kakin

I just got this new router from DLink which was the 3rd one. The other 2 stop working at no reason. I got this dir-655 model. I heard good review on this router so I said give it a try. Piece of ****... Keep on asking to pay for a program inside the router call securespot which help monitor your computer internet. Its including in the CD for installing. I accept the term for free month. After a month, this ****... Securespot pops up daily asking me to buy it. I denied it, it doesn't let me and blocked my internet access. I have log into the router to reactive and inactive again daily inorder to access the internet. I called D-Link, they have said as long its working. Anyone can help?

Last edited by a moderator:
why do you need software for a router to begin with? dont install the crap next time. Just plug the thing in and use it.

Where exactly does this Securespot install to? It sounds like it installs on your PC in which case you simply uninstall it and factory reset the router. If it installs on the router: reinstall the "normal" firmware, do a factory reset and you're done.

No need to whine about the obvious (that D-Link is ****) but think for tuppence for a change.

It kinda sounds to me that your internet is being held as hostage.

I am not familiar with securespot but I myself have not had good experience with D-Link and would so much recommend you to just throw that thing away and get yourself another descent router.

The Securespot is not a software, its hardcored into the router's rom. You have to accept on every computer inorder to get into this router's network. I disabled it, after a month its asking for to join them again to buy it. It just ****... wrong with its rom. I tried to refuse, it just die. No internet access... nothing... I have to go to the router to enable this securespot and disable again.

This piece of ****.. just doesn't work. I can have my kids and my wife get into the router to enable/disable sh.. while I am working...

There is no DD-WRT for this router yet sorry :( If there was I would say move over to that. My suggestion is to go Linksys or Trendnet. Both companies are the only ones that have stable and good firmware for their routers.

In the mean time try updating the firmware to 1.32NA and see what happens.
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir655/Firmware/dir655_firmware_132NA.zip
Since he got the router recently, it's likely he has that firmware already, and thats the firmware that apparently has that "bug" with disabling Securespot.

Downgrade to 1.31? Or reflash (that seems to have worked for some people on the dlink forums)? Or just wait, since apparently it strikes randomly.

OP I'm with ya.

D-link's wired gigabit switches are the best bang for the buck I've ever got as far as networking equipment is concerned.

But when you find a wireless router that only broadcasts in a 45degree angle, it's time to give up on that brand.

I got firmware 1.21 which doesn't have the securespot when I got the router. My friend came over and try to activate my NAS Harddrive and upgraded to firmware 1.31 and ofcourse still not able to see my NAS HD.
After I saw the post above I upgraded my firmware to 1.31NA. Still no luck. I called securespot from DLink 5 minutes ago. The told me that there sh..tty server has only limit slots for access and will be fix soon. Thats why my internet access was blocked. The router has to get permission from this server in order to let me out to internet. :bang head :temper:
Like the title said, DLink is piece of ****. **** DLink!!!!!!

No D-link is jsut doing horriable with newer firmware, along with Belkin. I can't stress enough for all people looking at this not to buy from these two companies, their products are nothing like Buffalo Linksys and Trendnet.

Back