• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6pin pcie on psu to 8pin pcie on video card works?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nookuwn

Title is basically the question.

I have an older psu with 6pin pcie connector (Seasonic 650w), can I use it to power my video card (palit hd4850 sonic) with 8pin power?

Thanks

I meant to ask, the 6pin female on the psu connect directly into the the 8pin male on the video card, leaving the 2 pins open.

:shrug:i guess that's why the adapter exist, was looking to save 10bux :(. Can someone else confirm this?

Yes it will work .

Disclaimer : 6 pin plugs are rated for 75 watts of power , 8 pin plugs are rated to run at 150 watts of power , putting more watts trough the cable might result in fire , but 8 pin is essentially a 6 pin with 2 additional grounds .Me or OCforums are not responsible for any damage caused by using this configuration .

^Not true. The 4850 will detect a 6-pin wire is inserted and display a warning message saying no additional power is being supplied to the card. So it either won't work or just run at a lower speed.

What doesn't make sense to me is, with the adapter, at some point in the pcie power cable becomes 6 wires again. So that's why I too think it works, but I'm looking for knowledgeable people to confirm this.

^Not true. The 4850 will detect a 6-pin wire is inserted and display a warning message saying no additional power is being supplied to the card. So it either won't work or just run at a lower speed.

Some cards will work tho , but yeah they might have protection for that nowadays .I was expressing the fact that it will have enough power to run.But again an easy solution is just to wire up couple of grounds :)

which is again in no way recommended by me .

thank you for clearing this up for me. Looks like there's no easy way to save $10. Looks like I have to get the adapter after all.

Back