• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats with all the high voltage ppl use ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

I have the q9550s at 3.77 with only 1.23V. I ran Printe95 and everything seems to be good. Why run the extra voltage if you don't need it ?

Totally depends on the chip. I have a Q9450 C0 that runs 3.4 all day long w/ 1.20v, and a Q9550 E0 that is never stable over 3.4 no matter how much vcore I put into it. (max 3.625v in bios.)

That will depend, your particular system is stable at that setting. That may not be the case with other people as no hardware is exactly identical hence the variation. Another thing is that you may regard as 2hrs of prime to be stable for you but someone else like me would have it run for a minimum of 10hrs of blend to state that its stable. There are many factors involved.

I'm currently running my q9550 E0 @ 3,4 with 1.1v
It's my first time OC'ing, but it's been running stable in prime95 for about an hour or 2, is this volt abnormaly low? because i haven't seen anyone else with such volts :)

^^can tell i fi can go that low for 3.4, but im running 3.8 with 1.192vcore after Vdrop.

For the OP. Ill tell the same thing as all the others. Its all about your system. Mobo/Ram/CPU config.

It's also worth remembering that voltage/frequency don't scale linearly. You might have to add a lot more voltage for only a little bit more frequency after a certain point. In fact, it's probably fairly linear to a point then exponential... I'm sure someone on here knows the details.

The bottom line is that everyone wants more performance and more voltage usually yields that result!

I'm currently running my q9550 E0 @ 3,4 with 1.1v
It's my first time OC'ing, but it's been running stable in prime95 for about an hour or 2, is this volt abnormaly low? because i haven't seen anyone else with such volts :)

well so much for that :D
I failed the test at 2h
but I'm giving it a little more juice now and testing again

OT: which test is actually better? small fft or large fft?

Why do I run more voltage? To heat my apartment in the winter.

Sarcasm aside, people run higher voltages because they have to, not because the number is higher.

yeah most people wouldnt be too comfy feeding an 45nm cpu more then what, 1.4v? i wish lol, that just gets me to 4.3! i have a very early cpu, that may not be as refined as some of the newer ones are.. your cpu will tell you when its not likeing the voltage, or speed, or both! a cranky cpu is very easy to spot :D

i did notice however, that the chips that hit the speeds i run, but with lower voltage, run just as warm as mine does, so its all relative really! just feed it what it needs, and itll letcha know when its not happy :)

I run whats needed, or at least what I tested down to at the time. See my sig for current clock/voltage. At 3.8Ghz with HT I need 1.225V bios and 1.27-1.28V fully loaded to be stable. Just the way it works, and im sure the one in my sig could very possibly go lower.

I run my Q6600 at 1.5v and it needs every bit of it for 3.6Ghz. I can go up to about 3.3-3.4 using 1.3725.

if this in only for intel's i wont bother
but high voltage is indeed needed to overclock to a certain point,it needs like 4 increments to become stable at 3.7ghz ~ 1.480 volts from 3.6ghz at something like 1.436 volts,very wierd ,but it seems its something to do with how there build and what the temperature is,also ram like some others have stated here,not much luck using this cpu at the kind of voltages these intels do ,im like wtf when i see 4ghz+ on 1.25 volts ,my chip would need around 1.6 volts to get there ..so yeah thats why lol

Lets look at some things here a second.

1. You (DSM) have an "S" CPU which is only 65W compared to the 95W for most CPUs. Im willing to bet in order to fit under that wattage envelope, your VID is probably 1.2 or less. Thus starting out lower with a 'better' VID. Generically speaking, the lower the VID, the higher the chip could clock with less voltage...GENERALLY.
2. Like many people mentioned, every chip varies in voltage per certain clockspeed. I dont think anyone here is INTENTIONALLY running more voltage then they NEED to. Its b/c they HAVE to in order to be stable.

3.77ghz @ 1.23v?

Why dont you go for 4ghz? Just because you use higher voltage doesnt mean its not needed. Id be willing to bet that to hit 4ghz, you are going to need upwards of 1.35v-1.4v to squeeze out that extra 250mhz.

Does that mean its unneeded? NO, it just means it scales terribly and you found the sweetest point between speed/voltage that you are happy with.

EEEP... And I didnt mean 1.35v-1.4v for just 4ghz lol. My bad.. Im guessing youll need about 1.3v to hit 4ghz, and 1.35v+ to go above 4.2+

Last edited:
Back