• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom x2 unlocking help....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fcool1

Registered
So i updated my bios to F2c. Went fine. Went to the cpu options and switched the settings to hybird and auto. Saved Changes. System turned off. Couldnt turn it back on so i cleared cmos settings to get it back to work. Tried one last time and it didn't work. Does this mean it cant be unlocked? Also if i cant unlock the two extra cores, how would i go about OC my phenom x2 default cores?

Sure im using a GIGABYTE MA770T-UD3P, ati 4870 , 585w psu , not sure what else you want.

Hmm by how much? And also I'm not entirely sure how to do this.

Hmm by how much? And also I'm not entirely sure how to do this.

should be an option in bios, not sure since i have an intel but bump the voltage up to 1.425 volts i think, should be a vcore option in bios? try google'ing what people had the vcore on when unlocking.

Okay you know what i'm done with trying to unlock the cores. Is raising the vcore little by little done to overclock my current cores?

First off, don't bump the vCore, until you notice an instability, and this shouldn't even be on the table yet as we don't even know what processor you're using.
Additional things you will need to list:
~CPU and type of HSF
~Ram (size, configuration (2x2, 2x1, 4x1, etc...) speed, timings, voltage)
~Any settings you have changed in the BIOS
~What you use your system for, and what your goals are
~It might not be relevant right now, but the make and model of your PSU (just in case)
~What type of case/case cooling are you using

Listing these things with your motherboard and GPU will be a great help, in getting you going in the right direction.
As Chance said :welcome: to OCF

Ok.
AMD Phenom x2 550 @ 800mhz Hmm well I got This one rosewill 20 dollar cooler. Keeps my cpu at 27-29c at idle.
Ive got 2x2 DDR3 Ram 1600(started at 1333 but had to up it since that was the timings on the website)
I think the Ram is the only thing i changed in the bios besides triyng to unlock the cores but that failed anyways.
I use system for gaming, Goals are to make my system go to its fullest.
SIGMA SHARK SP-585 585W ATX12V V2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply
Im using three 120mm fans blowing in/out of the case (mid tower). Keeps temps at HD 32c cpu at 24c gpu at 50c.

Your OC is going to depend on keeping your heat under control. I swapped out a giant over powered tuniq tower for a 92mm Xigmatek Rifle cooler, but I strapped a panaflo to it. Overclock difference is about 80MHz. :) Still benching at 4+ Ghz. 4.1 is out of the question for now...

Stepping of your chip will help determine probability of unlocking the extra cores. (Stepping written on the CPU, should start out 09XX the XXs represent what week chip it).

First thing to do when OCing, is disable CPU features. I disable everything but the ACPI SRAT fetching. (Forget the name..) disable power play (cool n quiet), C1E, prefetching, Virtual security mode, and microcode update.

You can try upping hte CPUNB volts a step or two, to get post stability with 4 cores unlocked. Or try adjusting ACC to a positive value for all cores (I use +4 now on mine)

As for Ocing, you should be able to just bump the multiplier up a few steps without changing anything at all.

HTREF clocking will get you more performance and CPUNB speed really helps tweak the whole system out.

With a single 4870, you drop the HTLink down a few multis to give you more headroom in HTREF clocking.

Best bet is to manually set all voltages and memory settings as well. At least your primary timings, command rate and speed.

Remember it is supposed to be fun. If you get frustrated take a break.

Im alreayd overwhelmed by the post haha. So youre saying i might be able to unlock the cores with stability but not up them after that? Also could i use amd overdrive seems like a simpler option...

Last edited:
No not saying that at all.

You either can unlock the cores with stability or not.

I am saying that auto ACC does not work for all chips, and sometimes increasing CPUNB voltage can help to get you to post when it is unlocked. You are running a dual core chip as a quad, this puts a little extra strain on the integrated northbridge of the chip, so voltage my help stability. Vcore should not need any upping at all though. Just to boot as a quad at stock clocks.

Stepping of the chip is very important, week 21 chips seem to be 100% successful with the right board, earlier chips not so much although there are some successes. Later chips seem to be hit or miss, I have seen some week 25 chips unlocking. Have not checked later ones.

First thing I would do, is get your feet wet in the overclocking portion of your quest. Things that you learn while overclocking, will be useful in understanding how to unlock the disabled cores of your 550BE (if that is your ultimate goal)
There are a few overclocking guides in the sticky section. I would recommend this guide by QuietIce http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058 in order to get a nice general feel for what is involved, and then move onto Dolk's guide http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=596023 in order to get more CPU specific information. You have an unlocked multiplier, so you will be able to get a nice little increase, by simply raising the CPU multiplier up a few notches. I would first consult the guides that I linked, in order to become familiar with the terminology and programs that will come in handy while overclocking. Once you have your feet set and you have versed yourself in the language... sit back, ask questions, experiment, and HAVE FUN...

I would not recommend AMD Overdrive for anything other than slight temporary adjustments, and monitoring your system. Overclocking for stability, should always be performed in the BIOS. You'll know your BIOS like the back of your hand, when all is said and done...

Ive read through Dolk's guide, good stuff. So i learned about the different language and stuff. But there wasn't anything in the guide about unlocking the cores. I guess I should try raising the voltage. But would raising the voltage and nothing else affect it badly? Is unlocking the cores even realistic and worth the time?

Last edited:
Ive read through Dolk's guide, good stuff. So i learned about the different language and stuff. But there wasn't anything in the guide about unlocking the cores. I guess I should try raising the voltage. But would raising the voltage and nothing else affect it badly? Is unlocking the cores even realistic and worth the time?

DON'T raise voltage unless you're overclocking and have hit a wall where instability arises. A voltage increase should not be needed to unlock cores.. at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Dolk's guide was written and based exclusively on his Phenom II 940, (and with the input of others PIIs, 920s, 940s, 945s and 955s and a few X3s) which is already a quad core. The CPU you have was not around at the time.
Is unlocking the cores with the time? Depends.. if you like tinkering with your computer, and pushing it past it's normal limits.. and you like the extra multitasking power, then yes its totally worth it! But you might run into a few small issues. I think I saw something about a temperature sensor being off or disabled when the cores are unlocked.. I'm not sure what it was exactly.

:welcome: to OCF!

Looks like everybody ganged up on you! :)
For starters lets just try something simple. Go into BIOS and set the following manually:

clock (system clock, HT, CPU Frequency, FSB ): 200 MHz
CPU multiplier: 16x
CPU voltage (vCore): 1.350v
cpuNB Multiplier: 9X
cpuNB voltage: 1.225v
HT Link multiplier: 9X
RAM voltage: (check RAM specification - 1.9v to 2.1v)
RAM timings: stock spec (these can be found in CPU-Z on the SPD tab)

When you reboot your computer you will already be slightly over-clocked at 3.2 GHz and I'm sure there's more where that came from. ;)

Edit:
Let's save the unlocking routine for a later date. Either way you'll want to OC the system, right?, so if you start there and learn the BIOS and terms you'll need you'll be better prepared to take on an unlocked system ... :)

Last edited:
Hello QuietIce. Ive tried your settings. Going 3221.6MHZ according to cpu-z. Put up CPUID HM. My gpu heat went up a good bit but went back to normal. Also my cpu idle temps are about 31c right now. Is this good progress? Also I have a question My cpu fan/heatsink came with a fan controller. Should I install this? Would it benefit overclocking?

It's a beginning and that's what's important! :)

Now that you have all the settings at stock (except the CPU multiplier and a little vCore) you should stress the system. Idle temps don't mean a thing - even a stock cooler can hold good idle temps. It's the load temps that are important. You need to download Prime95 or OCCT and use them to stress your CPU. This will not only give you good load temps after just a couple of minutes, these programs will also stress your system to make sure your overclock is stable. Core Temp is the program I like for measuring CPU temps, there are others if you prefer. Take a few minutes to download these programs, try them, and take note of the CPU temp after a few minutes running the stress test (keep it running when you note the CPU temp, don't stop it!). This will give you a good baseline. You might also want to download any of various benchmark programs to see what your scores are now, while you're still near stock - that's up to you. I like to do it just to see how much of a performance gain I get from my overclock. ;)

Assuming your load temps are below 50°C you can really start OC'ing your CPU. This part is pretty simple. You keep adding 0.5 to the CPU multiplier then do a 15 minute stress test (P95 or OCCT). If it passes the test then increase the CPU multiplier another 0.5X and keep doing that until you don't pass the stress test. Keep an eye on your CPU temps as you do this. As long as you don't increase your vCore the temps should be OK but if you start into the mid-50's you should stop.

Give all that a try and let us know how it goes. Overclocking is a slow process if you do it right and test as you go, but it's also the best method ... :)

Ok Ice did what you told me to. Prime95 ran no errors 15 minutes at 44c 3.6 ghz. When i tried to go 3.7 ghz prime95 ran for about 20 seconds temperature was at 39 c but the computer suddenly restarted itself. Not sure what caused this.

Ok Ice did what you told me to. Prime95 ran no errors 15 minutes at 44c 3.6 ghz. When i tried to go 3.7 ghz prime95 ran for about 20 seconds temperature was at 39 c but the computer suddenly restarted itself. Not sure what caused this.

That would be your first "wall". :bang head But don't worry, that usually happens when you begin to OC. QI had you set your CPU Vcore to 1.35v.. this is usually the time when you have to increase your voltage a bit. Depending on the increments your BIOS goes in, you will probably have to increase a couple bumps to lets say 1.4 or 1.42v. You can try 1.37v but I'm guessing it will need at least 1.4 or 1.42v to go higher. Save and exit and begin testing again and remember to keep an eye on your temps. You don't want to see it go too much higher than 55*C.

15 mins is a good start with prime95, but don't go too high too fast. To really check for stabililty run the system for a few hours, or the easiest way is let it run overnight. If it can run stable for 6-8+ hours it's doing good.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Back