• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the any point in building a new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, you can always wait for something better, but in the next couple of months, there is a lot coming out in the way of CPUs from intel (i5), and ATI/Nvidia (5k series/GT300). So I would wait until the turn of the year personally.

Your current system should be able to handle anything coming out this year and next. No real need to upgrade IMO. At the very least, wait until the new ATI and Nvidia cards are out and then maybe upgrade your GPU's next year if you absolutely need to.

Nah, you're fine really.
You can always play crysis two on (gasp) low detail mode. Course it's a crime against nature, but in this modern day and age that rarely stops people.

So do you think these upgrades would work? Would i see a significant increase in performance? Would it allow me to play Max Payne 3, Starcraft 2 etc on good settings? Thanks again for all the help
Current Rig
MB - EVGA 680i LT SLI
CPU - Q6600 ~ 3.20ghz 1.22V
Ram - OCZ DDR2 800MHz Platinum XTC
GFX - 2x 8800 GTX SLI
HD 1 - Hitachi 250gb 7200rpm
HD 2 - Samsung 250gb 7200rpm
HD 3 - Samsung 250gb 7200rpm
HD 4 - Samsung 250gb 7200rpm
DVD - Bluray/HDDVD Burner
PSU - 850 watt

Possible Upgrades
MB -ASROCK P45XE P45 Socket
CPU - No Change
RAM - OCZ 4GB DDR2 1066MHz
GFX -BFG GTX275 OC 896MB
Would my CPU bottleneck the GTX275 or not?

You likely wouldnt see any increase. I would imagine the 8800GTX x2 is about as fast as a single GTX275. I also wouldnt upgrade to that ASROCK P45 board either.

Back