• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking voltages: CPU voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adhoc

If anyone could point me to a general guide anywhere that would be great :)

What are the relations between these voltages?

CPU Vdd
CPU-NB Vdd
CPU voltage
CPU-NB voltage
CPU PLL voltage

thanks

CPU VDD is the voltage regulator of the CPU-V
CPU V is the voltage of the CPU itslef
CPU-NB VDD same idea as the CPU VDD, but for the CPU-NB
CPU-NBv is the voltage for the CPU-NB
CPU PLL voltage is something i've never heard of.

So here is the run down: Voltage comes in from the PSU, and then goes to mosfets, and then to the CPU and CPU-NB. The Mosfets can be regulated to send X amount of voltage to the CPU and CPU-NB, this can be further controlled by the VDD, which is bascially your head room.

Or stated by Bit-Tech for refrence:

CPU Vdd Voltage: This is the positive voltage supplied to the FETs. MSI states (on another 790FX board with Phenom II) that 1.3 to 1.4V is typical safe value, however we've increased it here because we've added additional cooling to the CPU socket area with two large fans.

CPU-NB Vdd Voltage: This can also help with increasing the integrated memory controller overclock - we've not increased it here, but considering AMD claims 1.4 to 1.5V for the CPU-NB core for optimum results, the CPU-NB Vdd should also be ~1.3 to 1.4V.

CPU Voltage: Typically the 45nm SOI Phenom IIs can withstand quite high voltages so 1.5V should be OK if it's properly cooled. However it's worth mentioning that this is wrongly labeled, and is actually the voltage offset, as increasing the Vdd above adjusts this value as well.

CPU-NB Voltage: Like the above setting, working in combination with the CPU-NB Vdd setting will give you an additional voltage. Work with mostly Vdd and start with a small setting here.

CPU PLL Voltage: Similar/same as the VDDA on Asus boards and can directly reflect chipset and MOSFET temperatures so it's worth keeping an eye on the heatsink. 2.6 to 2.8V can sometimes make a difference: MSI allows particularly fine tuning on the GD70, but we found it didn't affect our overclock so we left it at the cooler 2.65V.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/05/11/overclocking-amd-s-phenom-ii-x3-720-be/3

so if i wanted to simply raise my CPU voltage, what should i do?
(and also, what's the avg. temp change from a .025 increase?)

You should slowly take your time and increase in small increments, first increase the multiplier and run some stability tests such as OCCT or prime 95. If it crashes then increase the voltage. It is a lot of trial and error.

I also notice we have the same cpu and mobo, remember to update to the latest bios. I had my cpu stable at 3.5 on 1.45 volts just to give you some numbers. Right now I am still playing around and trying to lower the voltages while increasing the speed.

Back