• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has any one ever had a water cooler setup, with the radiator out side the house?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markp1989

I have always been interested in water cooling, just never got around to trying it out, yet.

I just had a thought, im sure its probably a stupid idea,

MY computer is on a outside wall, of my house, and i have seen wc systems with the rad outside the case, and i was thinking has anyone done similar, but put the rad out side of the building, where the air is considerably cooler then indoors?

i have done a few also BUT there are more factors to consider. the outside temp being only just one of many.
you dont want to even consider it if the hot and cold seasons are are to extreme in your location.
if you fit into a location that doesnt fluctuate much you may have the ideal conditions

i have done a few also BUT there are more factors to consider. the outside temp being only just one of many.
you dont want to even consider it if the hot and cold seasons are are to extreme in your location.
if you fit into a location that doesnt fluctuate much you may have the ideal conditions

I would love to give water cooling ago, but i need a job first :(

I live in the uk, Winter coolest it gets is 0c maybe -5c on a rare ocaision, and hotest it gets is around 30C .

It is humid here, so i dont know if that is a good or bad thing when it comes to cooling, im guesing bad, as it make humans feel warmer.

I looked at Naja002 , his stuff is nice, i liked the car rad setup best, and the 1 that he buried in the garden

Last edited:
I had had a heater core in my basement for two systems. That went well for temps, and didn't cool enough to get condensation.
Then I stepped up to a Toyota truck radiator. For that one I had to place the same old heater core inside the custom built case to drop case air temp to avoid condensation.
My AC probably would have prevented it well enough in the summer by dropping ambient and lowering humidity, but you only need a 5C difference with 75% humidity to be in trouble. I took no chances on that one.

If you have an unheated and uninsulated basement, that's the way to go IMHO, because the temps never freeze (no glycol mix needed) and actually stay quite static throughout the year.

Last edited:
I had had a heater core in my basement for two systems. That went well for temps, and didn't cool enough to get condensation.
Then I stepped up to a Toyota truck radiator. For that one I had to place the same old heater core inside the custom built case to drop case air temp to avoid condensation.
My AC probably would have prevented it well enough in the summer by dropping ambient and lowering humidity, but you only need a 5C difference with 75% humidity to be in trouble. I took no chances on that one.

If you have an unheated and uninsulated basement, that's the way to go IMHO, because the temps never freeze (no glycol mix needed) and actually stay quite static throughout the year.

Nice, i wish i had the cash to spend on water cooling :( im just not really sure if it is worth it for my system

Yeah, it's definately not cheap.
Good air cooling is probably the way to go until you feel it's necessary to have more.
Air is still a tried and true method.

It is humid here, so i dont know if that is a good or bad thing when it comes to cooling, im guesing bad, as it make humans feel warmer.
Neither good nor bad. Humidity doesn't effect temperature, just evaporation rates. You feel warmer when the humidity is high because your sweat doesn't evaporate as fast.

If you're going to go through the trouble of punching holes in your walls, why not do a ground loop instead of a rad. Just bury 100' or so of copper tubing deeper than 3 feet and you've got free, geothermal cooling.

Back