• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD 1TB Book World (NAS) won't turn on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

i just tried to access something from my external hard drive and got access denied (its a mapped network drive), tried to ping it and no go. so then i looked at it and the light was off at the front. so i felt the enclosure and it didn't feel like anything was running. i unplugged the power and then plugged it back in, i can feel the drive spinning, but the lights are not coming on.

Anyone else experience this? any ideas?

i just tried to access something from my external hard drive and got access denied (its a mapped network drive), tried to ping it and no go. so then i looked at it and the light was off at the front. so i felt the enclosure and it didn't feel like anything was running. i unplugged the power and then plugged it back in, i can feel the drive spinning, but the lights are not coming on.

Anyone else experience this? any ideas?

I'd give these guys an email or a call, or both:
http://support.wdc.com/

-Blackstar

i was told to contact the reseller, i bought it from buy.com. i shot them an email saying its broken and that it was still under the 3 year warranty.

I'm more concerned about the data. if i were to take the drive out and plug it directly into a pc, would i be able to get the data or is it in some special format?

reseller usually covers 30 days from purchase

What kind of connectors beside ethernet does it have? Try that.

Data probably isn't format in a special way unless you chose to. Now the question is what is broke.

To access the data from the ourside, there is only the ethernet, inside there is a sata connection. i think the enclosure died, because when you plug in the power it doesn't light up or anything, but i can feel the drive spinning, im hoping that the drive is intact and that i can get the data off it.

this is the site and it shows 3 years warranty

http://www.buy.com/prod/western-dig...-10-100-1000-network/q/loc/101/205599887.html

To let you know, if you open the enclosure, your warranty goes out the window.

To let you know, if you open the enclosure, your warranty goes out the window.

Yeah, that's the dilemma he has now. If the drives are in fact ok, then pulling them out and putting them in another case or in the computer directly should work fine. But if you do, you will not be subject to a warranty replacement if they are not functioning. It's a gamble. Only you can decide if it's really worth it. There is also no guarantee that even if you do send it in for service, they simply won't send you a replacement/refurbished one, and you'd never get your original data back anyway.

If it was me, and I could not afford another drive, I'd send it in for service/replacement and look for other sources to replace the data lost. If I could afford a whole new drive, I'd pull them and see if they would work in another case or a computer.

- Blacksar

the 3 year warranty is through WD. Did you buy it within 30days? If so, then buy.com should replace it for you, however, by what you're saying the HDD powers up, but the controller board seems shot since it doesn't light up.

If the data is that important to you then I would open it up and hook up the HDD internally and get the data off of it. Of course you void the warranty, and the HDD by itself has not warranty.

It's not like this thing has screws or a seal that will be broken if it's opened, it slides open.
I was on WD site and put in my serial number and it said no limited warranty, contact reseller.

Back