• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is lapping a core i7 worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GMdoubleG

Hello all, I hope this is in the right section since I am talking about temps while using a Water Cooled setup. Anyways, is lapping a core i7 920 worth the risk and effort? I hear that the i7's run relatively hot with all the power they consume and I'm wondering if I will see just a degree or two difference, or will it be more. Also, after seeing video demonstrations of how to lap a CPU, I noticed that most CPUs have an uneven surface and lapping the CPU will aid in the mounting of the CPU block.

I direct these questions/concerns more towards those who have experience with lapping because I have done plenty of research on this and all I seem to get is theoretical positives and negatives on lapping, but as always, everything is welcome.

PS. Any guides on how to lap and what to watch out for?

Thanks

Depends on the condition of your IHS. Here's a lapping guide right from the intel cpu section. A little old but still valid. Lapping may hurt or help the resale value of your cpu depending on the quality of the work you do. I haven't lapped my i7 yet, but i eventually will. I've lapped plenty of other cpu's before and always seen 5-10c improvement.

Wow, 5C-10C! That seems like quite the improvement. What do you mean the condition of my IHS? Are there differences between the IHS' on the same type of CPU?

I believe what he means is that some are more concave than others. The more concave, the better the temps by lapping. The cooler touches more surface area of the IHS.

Oh I see. That does make sense. Does lapping remove a sizable amount of metal? Could there be a possibility of the CPU water block putting too much pressure on the lapped surface and cause it to crush down?

It won't remove as much as you're thinking unless you go crazy with it. I've seen one guy on XS that lapped his Q6600 all the way down to the dies, so it's possible.

Before lapping, do a razor test - put a razor's edge across the CPU from multiple angles and hold it up to a light. If you see light under the razor, the IHS is not flat and you'd most likely benefit from a good lapping. If it's flat to begin with, there will still be a benefit, but potentially not significant enough for the trouble (meaning 1-2c as opposed to 4-5c), unless of course you want every single degree you can get and would be satisfied with a relatively small drop.

You guys have some serious...uh parts of the male body....to do this. I couldn't consider doing it even if it resulted in sub ambient temps. In my mind I may as well be taking sandpaper to two crisp 100 dollar bills. I have no problem building watercooled rigs or messing with computers but my mod skills are really off. I know if I tried this, I would be out either a CPU or a finger.

if your CPU is concave ... you NEED to lap it. if not your temp will just suck all the time !

Lapped my Q6600 and temps decreased by about 5C. At some point I'm sure I'll lap my 920. It feels too new at this point to lap it.

if your CPU is concave ... you NEED to lap it. if not your temp will just suck all the time !

I think Intel would disagree with that statement, but then again, overclocking and not using their great HSF voids the warranty, but you can hide those facts. I would think lapping the IHS most defintely will void the warranty. I think they would know. :bday:

Well, overclocking in the first place voids the warranty. No need to worry about that facet of lapping; if you're at that point, it's already voided!

Their engineers are smart; they can figure out if you killed a CPU from overclocking. Not to mention it's not exactly ethical to RMA a CPU killed by OC'ing.

It won't remove as much as you're thinking unless you go crazy with it. I've seen one guy on XS that lapped his Q6600 all the way down to the dies, so it's possible.

Nice and shiny!
100364d1236402270-lapped-x3220-q6600-core-resized.jpg

I think Intel would disagree with that statement, but then again, overclocking and not using their great HSF voids the warranty, but you can hide those facts. I would think lapping the IHS most defintely will void the warranty. I think they would know. :bday:

As its been told. OCing and many other thing VOID your CPU warantie. Ive lapped in the past, not yet on my Q9550 but ill do it for sure in the next month when ill drain and refill my loop. Ill check its flatness and LAPP if needed. i just forgot to check when it was new ... but my temps are fine.

Their engineers are smart; they can figure out if you killed a CPU from overclocking. Not to mention it's not exactly ethical to RMA a CPU killed by OC'ing.

I kinda doubt their RMA process is that involved. The people taking care of RMA claims, probably just check for functionality and any visible signs of physical damage caused by the user.

Back