• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey question about distilled water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, not really. You should be fine. I added a silver kill coil for good measure.
I also use Pentosin G11 as an additive, as it is supposed to bring down the freezing point if you ever want to chill your loop. It gives a nice light blue color as well, not like it matters.
Some here also use provadone iodine for the same purpose as PTNuke. I hear it works really well.

But one thing to keep in mind is that no matter how much ptnuke you add, if you expose the fluid to sunlight it WILL grow algae. I know. It's always best to get some opaque tubing and a black reservoir for these purposes.

This does not really apply for premixed coolants, which are usually fine with clear tubing and reservoirs.

No, not really. You should be fine. I added a silver kill coil for good measure.
I also use Pentosin G11 as an additive, as it is supposed to bring down the freezing point if you ever want to chill your loop.

But one thing to keep in mind is that no matter how much ptnuke you add, if you expose the fluid to sunlight it will grow algae no matter what.

This does not really apply for premixed coolants, which are usually fine with clear tubing.
Kill coils ill look it up but if you want to expand on that for me and what it does. My case windows does not face any windows everything is on the other side so i should be good on that also i have tygon blue tubing i had clear tygon tubing with feser colored fluid and it was making gunk show up in my system so i took it out

Any type of light over time will give you issues In my experience if you use distilled water in your loop.

Silver does roughly the same thing as PTNuke when it comes to algae and bacteria. You can add a few Ag pellets into your reservoir(read up on this first as I've never done it), as long you're sure that it won't find it's way into your tubing, or you can buy a kill coil like me for ~$8 from Petra's.

There are threads about silver in WC loops on these forums and over at XS to name a few. Have a look.

Kill coils ill look it up but if you want to expand on that for me and what it does.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/sikibyia.html

Kill coils are just silver coils which you can squeeze into a tube or drope in your res. Just another way to keep things from growing in your loop.

Not a necessity. Just extra insurance. Best thing you can do is just replace the water every few months and clean out all the parts. No biggie. All I'm using is ptnuke -phn and some silver lined tubing. Its been 4 months since I filled and no icky stuff :thup:.

+1 im near to 7 months now with BI-Distilled and PTnuke and its still crystall clear.

Im about to drain and refill when i have the time to do it .... maybe adding my GPU to the loop at the same time :D

there are 2 coolants you need to know about.

1. if your not running mixed metals (copper and aluminum).

use distilled water and PT nuke PHN.

2. if your are running mixed metals OR are going chilled.

Use distilled water and PT nuke (not PHN) and some kind of antifreeze.

Back