Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

running with no peripherals panel (on back of case)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 01:06 AM Thread Starter   #1
airflow
Registered

10 Year Badge

running with no IO shield panel (on back of case)

I think thats what you'd call it, the panel at the back of a case that masks the ps2 ports / usb ports, on-board sound ports etc

Would there be anything wrong with simply removing this panel and running without it?

I've removed it from my case easily enough (had motherboard out before doing so), and leaving it out will make it easier to refit the motherboard.

I figure it will also allow for a bit more air flow through the case, near where the cpu is especially.

I'm wondering whether this panel is fullfilling any other purpose, since it has springy metal tabs contacting the metal sections of those ports on the mboard, plus there is a springy tab on the ps2 port thing that contact this panel. I guess it could be for additional earthing?

I'm thinking I'd like to remove it anyway and run without it. pic attached.
Attached Images

Last edited by airflow; 08-11-09 at 01:24 AM.
airflow is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-11-09, 01:10 AM   #2
MARCI

That's your IO shield, I believe it offers grounding point, and some physical support for the sockets, and keeps you from accidently shoving a mic/headphone plug in and contacting the motherboard.

It doesn't hurt anything, and gives a modicum of protection. Best to leave it.

8 GB G.SKILL PC8500
MSI GTX260 (216) OC 896MB folding 24/7
CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX
Folding User Stats
MARCI is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-11-09, 01:15 AM Thread Starter   #3
airflow
Registered

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCI View Post
That's your IO shield, I believe it offers grounding point, and some physical support for the sockets, and keeps you from accidently shoving a mic/headphone plug in and contacting the motherboard.

It doesn't hurt anything, and gives a modicum of protection. Best to leave it.
Fair enough, if I decide to leave it in, I'll at least try to squish in some of the springy tabs on the panel so their not as much in the way when fitting the motherboard.
Old 08-11-09, 09:20 AM   #4
mdcomp
Classic Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge

I also find that without the I/O shield a lot more dust builds up directly on the motherboard. Usually this means cleaning the dust out of your PC on a regular basis to avoid overheating and things like that. In my experience, it is best to leave the I/O shield in tact for this reason and the reasons stated above.

Most of the time above the I/O shield area is a fan slot, make use of that to ensure proper airflow of the area near the CPU, which should work just fine. Good luck!

Matt

mdcomp is offline Author Profile Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-12-09, 01:35 AM Thread Starter   #5
airflow
Registered

10 Year Badge

cheers, yeah, I managed to keep the io panel, I squished some of the springy tabs down a bit with some pliers and even cut a few off with some side cutters. After doing that I still managed to fit the motherboard the way i wanted to and the ps2 ports were still earthing to the io panel as it looks like they are supposed to..
Old 08-12-09, 07:54 AM   #6
mdcomp
Classic Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge

Yeah, those tabs tend to get in the way at times. I don't see much harm in removing them as long as there isn't a gap between the panel and the motherboard.

Glad you got it all figured out.

Matt

mdcomp is offline Author Profile Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-12-09, 11:04 AM   #7
g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator

10 Year Badge

Many times I've run systems without an IO shield. The only reason I don't like to is it looks ugly... I clean my PCs regularly anyway so I could care less about the space when there's no IO shield.

Glad you got it figured out, though.

Also, depending on the manufacturer, you could always call up the mobo manuf and ask them for a replacement. They sometimes send manual/CD and io shield for free, but not all of them will do that. Some of them will charge like $7 (forget which one charged me that amount).

ASUS Crosshair V *Water* | FX-8320 Enzotech Sapphire CPU block | 8GB Mushkin 2133 | 6970 2GB | 256GB SSD | SB X-Fi Elite Pro | Corsair 520W Modular | 3x 26" Asus VW266H Eyefinity 5760x1200 | DDC pump with petra top @ 18w, Thermochill HE 120.3 w/ 3x120x38mm Deltas 152cfm on controller |
Xbox 360 Gamertag: g0dMAn114
Top 5 Heatware
**IHS Removal Tutorial**HotFlashing Tutorial**DFI NF4 UTT Problems**Funny-ChuckNorrisFacts**Custom RAM Cooler**
nightelph: I wanted to play so bad last night but I was OC'ing my video card.
g0dM@n is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.