• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nForce help, plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

So my nice Q9650 arrived this morning (Big thanks to Earthdog). CPU is working great but my nForce 750i mobo won't even O/C by 1mhz!!! So I'm wondering if any of you have a similar CPU running on a nForce 780i board and if so is the 780i anygood at overclocking these quads? I would get a Intel P45 board but I wan't to sli soon so I'm stuck with nVidia. Thanks.

Like I mentioned, try a bios flash to the latest and see if that helps. Personally if I was you, I would get a P45 board (see sig) though and ditch SLI, but a lot of you know how much I dont like SLI/Crossfire.

For 780i board, get the "FTW" model as it has solid state caps and overclocks a bit better.

+1 for a 780I FTW. They can reach at least 450mhz FSB but i dont know about quads on a 780i.

Post your bios settings + COMPLETE bios reset before OCing.

780i with 45nm quads should be good to 450FSB. I have seen a bunch get there. They can go 500+ with duallies.

Boulard83: I did do a complete BIOS reset, At first I didn't and the BIOS reported the CPU had hyper-threading, WTF?? 8 threads on a C2Q? I don't think so. I won't waste mine and everyone elses time by posting BIOS settings. I know it's just this mobo that is crap, no way it's gonna O/C.

Can't seem to find the EVGA 780i FTW anywhere in the UK, Might be able to get it shipped from the USA for close to £200. I really don't want to spend that much a what is a dead-end socket.

I've found two boards that look ok. Could use your opinions.

XFX nForce 780i: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148014

Never had a XFX board before but after a little googling many users seem to prefer this over the Asus.

Asus P5N-T deluxe: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139415

Its my 5th ASUS mobo and i LIKE IT...

Both are good. If you dont want us to help you OC on this 750I its your choice ....

Yeah, there has to be a reason that 750i isnt overclocking. If you dont have/want to spend the coin my man, at least let us give it a good college try before you go spending money!

The 750i will o/c 45nm quads.

yeah I was leaning towards the Asus board. Always had Asus boards since the Athlon XP days in my main rigs. Hope I didn't sound nasty turning down your offer to help, normally I would welcome any help but I'm just gonna run this board @ stock till I get the 780i board.Thanks for the offer, it is appreciated. The P5N-D has been a great budget board for budget CPU's but it can't cope with the newer high-end Quads.

Ok then guys, I'm using the machine to encode at the moment so can't check the BIOS but I will tell you what I've tried.

ok, All power saving features or OFF (C1E, Speedstep)

Ive tried the following volts:

Vcore: 1.35
HT: 1.60
NB: 1.60
RAM: 2.1
SB: Auto

I've tried running the RAM at 800mhz, still won't O/C by 1mhz

It's a right pain with this CPU as if I try to O/C the system fails to oot and I have to reset the CMOS! Normally it would detect a failed boot and reset the O/C settings to default with every other CPU I've had.

All spread spectrum's are turned off

with all due respect, you are wrong. i have seen plenty of q94,95,9650 overclocked on that board, not well, but overclocked none the less. the bios option will be a bit more on the 780i but not much different.

what is HT volts?

also,1.6v on NB is too much. stock is 1.3v i believe.

HT volts was tried at 1.6.

Yeah 1.6 is high for the NB, I was running at 1.4 with my E5200. Just tried the max volts a dare to see if I could get the system to post. Can't understand why it won't even let me increase the FSB by 1mhz???

Just for the heck of it, see if it POST's w/ these settings at an FSB of 445 MHz...

Code:
Multiplier : x9
FSB(QDR) MHZ : 1780
Mem (DDR) MHz : 1066
FSB-Memory Clock mode: Unlinked
Vcore: 1.3750V
CPU FSB: 1.40
Memory: 2.10-2.20V
nForce SPP : 1.50v
nf200 Volt Level : 1.50V
CPU Fast Read: Auto
CPU Clock Ratio Unlock: Unlocked
CPU N/2 Ratio : Disabled
LDT Frequency : 5x

GTLVREF Lane 0:+25mv, 1:+35mv, 2:+15mv, 3:+10mv

... and the four primary RAM timings set to 5-5-5-18; 2T.

Last edited:
If you lean toward swaping the MOBO. you could get this EVGA 790I from NCIX.com for 200$ ( canadian ) after MIR ( weekly special ).

Youll have to buy DDR3 mem, but in the futur if you swap to an I7 or I5 your mem gonna be ready ! ( add 1 stick for I7 ... )

The 790I is all solid caps and can OC a Q9550 nicelly.

SRY for this "adds" for NCIX but i just saw this i think this can suit you.

Back