• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II 965 reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice, does it clock higher than the 955 ? I hope with a new stepping the oc gets better with 64bit OSes.
I hope anand's hint is on spot about the i5 750 performance and this sinks sub 200 in a month.

It's just a 955 with a higher multi. It's probably not even binned different than the 955. At <$200 it would be very tempting!

If it does not clock any higher than the 955 what would make it tempting at sub 200 ? The 955 is already sub 200. ;) If the 955 will stick around and goes even lower when the 965 goes sub 200 now that would be something special. 4G capable quad, mobo, ram combo under 300.

If it does not clock any higher than the 955 what would make it tempting at sub 200 ? The 955 is already sub 200. ;)

I misread the article. I thought it said that it was replacing the 955... but upon reinspection... "the chip is actually identical to the 955 it replaces at the top save for the clock speed" that could simply mean that it is now in the top spot.

I definitely agree that, if the 955 hangs around... there is no need to pay more, for the same chip :)

I foresee the Windsor problem again. AMD is nearing the threshold ATM, fortunately a new step may alleviate some of the issues. I just keep flashing back to the 6400 BE and the limited overhead.

I foresee the Windsor problem again. AMD is nearing the threshold ATM, fortunately a new step may alleviate some of the issues. I just keep flashing back to the 6400 BE and the limited overhead.

Ahh my good ol' 6400 is still sittin in my room with it's 4 pipe copper stock heatsink; which really did jack all to be honest :p. That CPU just chugged up way too much heat and power draw for its relative performance.. If only they made a 65nm version (back then anyway).

The reviews I read show it to clock no further than the 955 so no sense spending the extra cash. I have a 920 running 3.6 now and I am sure it will get to 3.8. I had thought about grabbing the 955 which can be moved over to a DDR3 board if I want but there may just be no value in that if the overclock is relatively the same as what I have now?

I thought the same but the oc potential shows 3.8G even with stock V, so a 975 3.6G would be the 6400 equivalent.
Actually I don't mind at all if they use up the whole headroom on the chip for better competition. I can still use a lower clocked model if I want to save on it.

Ahh my good ol' 6400 is still sittin in my room with it's 4 pipe copper stock heatsink; which really did jack all to be honest :p.

Did it come with a cooler ? I thought they didn't include it.

The reviews I read show it to clock no further than the 955 so no sense spending the extra cash. I have a 920 running 3.6 now and I am sure it will get to 3.8.

I see not reason to spend hundreds on new mobo and ram to gain 10% performance.
On the contrary I find the backward compatibility the most appealing feature of Ph2.
AM2+ mobos are cheap just as ram the for them and the performance difference is minimal.
Even if bulldozer would fit in AM3 which I doubt, to unlock it's true potential you would want to use a chipset designed for it. Stick with what you have at 3.6 that quad will last till the next arch.

I heard on [H] Forums that the 965 is a 140w TDP chip. My guess is that it's just an OC'ed 955, because everything else is the same. Probably not worth it to grab the 965 yet, when 125w TDP variants will arrive soon. That's how it played out with the Phenom I chips at least.

Did it come with a cooler ? I thought they didn't include it.

I remember the earlier lines didnt. Maybe the BE version didnt? Mine wasn't a BE version. Just a normal 6400+. But came with a 4 copper pipe stock cooler; much like the one that comes with the 955 BE. *shrug*

I remember the earlier lines didnt. Maybe the BE version didnt? Mine wasn't a BE version. Just a normal 6400+. But came with a 4 copper pipe stock cooler; much like the one that comes with the 955 BE. *shrug*

Bingo... BEs didn't come with a cooler.

I believe the 4.6 on air was an AMD test and the actual gain seems to be up to 200Mhz. So I would look for 4.1 high average on air with a 4.3-4.4 outlier from time to time with a low average of 3.8-4.0 with the low outlier being 3.6-3.7.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3619

theres another.

they seem to be hitting 4.0ghz with little effort. Someone had one 4.6 stable on air. Should be interesting when the average results come in after a few days.

Too much booze you've had, buddy :)

"And so it ends at 4GHz, again. " - this is a quote from your own source.

Please link me to anything that suggests that the 965 can OC more than the 955.

Because it will not.

If you ever think that a 965 is a better deal than a 955 you just don't know enough to make this judgement. I don't care how much the prices sink. THe 955 will always be cheaper and identical.

This is just a little marketing propaganda on the AMD side -- "see how we keep working on performance?". When all that happened here is they changed the multiplier for you and charged you $45 for it. Thanks, but I know how to do this myself.

But since AMD doesn't have the manifacturing capacity for anything better right now they need to throw little crums for the naive souls out there so it doesn't look they have given up.

AMD keeps bleeding cash like crazy. I just hope they have enough to survive another year. I would hate to pay double for Intel CPUs.

Back