• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PAL8045 .. some good things to say!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PDL

This is a nice heatsink, but it takes a bit more work to get it mounted.
I have been using a probe set next to the CPU core to aid in temp monitoring and it created some difficulty. When I put it on under this heatsink, I changed the orientation because of the mounting pegs. Then, when I started the system after install, the temp shot up to over 60c. I wasn't too impressed with that and was sure I did something wrong. How could a heatsink that is twice as big do so poorly? I took it off and noticed right away that the ASII was not displaced as it should have been. The insulation of the probe was keeping it from fully seating on the core. After that was fixed it began showing some good temps. Keep in mind that the difference between the probe and MBM5 is 1-2 degrees so I am relatively sure that the readings are close to accurate.
I had been running this with a Sunon 50 cfm 80mm x 35mm fan and it was doing well. It kept the temp at about 40-42c while doing regular stuff like word processing and surfing the forums. As my sig shows, it is a 1 gig T-Bird set to 10*150. A nice OC if you ask me!!
Anyway, I set up my “Hoot-Chute”, aka HCAC which uses a 130cfm blower and it gets me 4-5 degrees cooler than the 80 mm fan. I ran the burn-in CPU benchmark with SSandra for 12 cycles and it never went over 40c. Good enough for me!! The HCAC is more effective during the summer when the ambient is a lot higher. In fact, I can turn down the blower speed to a pleasant noise level and it makes little difference in the temp. The 50 CFM fan was borderline noisy, but not objectionable.
Also, I was NOT able to cool the core enough with my Taisol heatsink to be able to go to the 150 FSB, but this one will!

:cool:

Well just got my sunon in the mail today... so i'll give ya some feedback when i get back and install it. Any tips? :p

ok just installed my alpha and am seeing some pretty nice temp differences already... so far looks like 5c cooloer than my sk6. The install process was pretty simple once i figured out which washer i was suppose to use on my mobo. :p Then there was wondering whether the hs was even making contact with the core.. But with all my worries behind, im totally happy so far with my upgrade. :D

O yes and another BIG difference.. can barely heard my hsf fan.. so quiet totally forgot about it. :burn:

dam it mine is still in mail guessing it will be here later today GOD i hope the usps does not leave it out in the rain tomarrow.. i ordered the 48 cfm y-tech or something with it.. did u guys see if u get a better temp blowing into the heatsink or sucking air out of the heatsink??

mine is in the mail, should be here early this week
i got the 47 cfm delta on it.....so it should cool the cpu just fine. my friend has a 1600+ with the same setup, and he runs about 35c all the time....so im sure ill be happy

I've had my Alpha Pal 8045 for about 3 months now and ya got to watch them nylon nuts .............I had one let go on me and lost a duron 800...........so I replaced them with 6mm nuts......just make sure ya got clearance between the Mother Board and the back plate...............so I had to get a duron IGhz ...............OC @1.2Ghz

Back