• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

constipated USB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Since switching to a nother motherboard, I have noticed a severe drop in transfer speed of USB. Keyboard, mouse, and printers are fine since they don't need much data bandwidth but transferring files from storage (USB drive, memory cards, etc) is painfully slow at a pokey 30KB/sec (240Kbit far short of original 1.0 spec)

I've checked MSI web site for updated USB driver and I tried Vista's driver update, they all claims I'm using the best available driver. I have tried different USB ports (all 10 of them on board) and I can't seem to go faster than 30KB/sec. Or 3 hours for 200MB file.

I tried the same devices on other PC, they do go much faster, just a few minutes for the same 250MB file. So the USB drives aren't faulty.

I checked BIOS and made sure 2.0 support is enabled. The only thing left are: bad Vista driver, bad MSI driver, or bad USB controller chip.

Using Vista 64 BTW, hardware in sig below.

Back