• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my CPU fried?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gsexer

Registered
So I was using my comp the other day, nothing special about it, super old rig, anyhow, worked fine in the morning, then in the afternoon turn it back on, and it is super slow. I mean it takes 20min to get to windows. Mouse does not work, all information is still there, I can use hotkeys and stuff to get into stuff (that is agonizing also, trying to recover one or two things), an that is retarded slow also. I dunno. Somewhere along the lines the process is jacked. I back up the important stuff once every two weeks , but I just moved some stuff in between backups.

I seriously need to update my sig, wow...

Last edited:
what are the odds of me losing information if something goes wrong with the re install?

Download HWmonitor or CoreTemp or RealTemp and see what the core temps are looking like. If it's full of dust you may be hitting the thermal throttle.

If a system starts to behave odd one of the first things I would check is the disks. They often start to get bad blocks and read retries from one start to the other (power on). If you have an emergency disk (cd or dvd) you could boot and check the S.M.A.R.T status of your disks.
Edit: silly typos

Last edited:
My first bet would be failing RAM. I just worked on a system with these same exact symptoms, and quality DDR is hard to find these days. Especially at a price that people are willing to pay. If I were you, I would download a copy of the bootable ISO of Memtest 86+ and burn it and boot from there. Chances are you will see some failures in the tests it runs. The one I ran failed every possible test thrown at it.

Yay, thread update.

I have replaced the RAM, did not correct the problem. I got my product key back and now I am 8 hours into the repair (34 min to go HA, NOT!!!!), so the repair did not fix the problem.

Meant to answer a suggestion earlier, I do not have a problem with temps cause same problem happens when starting up the comp for the first time in the morning, or if I am jerking with it for however long. I know the HDD's are okay, I yanked em and was able to get into em with an external chassis.

So, what else is there to do besides replace the mobo or CPU? Since the repair is not fixing the problem I am thinking a reformat will not help the problem either.

Yay, thread update.

I have replaced the RAM, did not correct the problem. I got my product key back and now I am 8 hours into the repair (34 min to go HA, NOT!!!!), so the repair did not fix the problem.

Meant to answer a suggestion earlier, I do not have a problem with temps cause same problem happens when starting up the comp for the first time in the morning, or if I am jerking with it for however long. I know the HDD's are okay, I yanked em and was able to get into em with an external chassis.

So, what else is there to do besides replace the mobo or CPU? Since the repair is not fixing the problem I am thinking a reformat will not help the problem either.

Well..

It has to be something,..

If your RAM is good,.. and your HD is good, .. and your OS is fresh.. and you assume your CPU and MB are good -- then you are only left with video and power supply.

Either can cause some problems.. If you have onboard video and have an aftermarket card in.. I would pull it and use onboard . If you don't, I would use another video card if available just to verify it isn't the card. Then you are down to PSU/CPU/MB.

Check PSU next.. A failing PSU can do all of what you are describing.

BTW: Just because the problems occur right when you turn the computer on from being cold doesn't have anything to do with whether the CPU is good or bad. The heat up in a matter of seconds.. with improper cooling less than a second. So don't leave any stone unturned, assumption sometimes is our enemy.

But do check out the Rails on your PSU.

Back