• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noctua i7 920 10c+ to HOT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hdtv00

Registered
Ok I'll try in here the cooling section. I am at a loss I just built new rig
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6189706&postcount=16

and I have temp problem bad. I see most getting 35c idle @stock speed or higher even. Yet mine is in the 45-50c range depending on ambient temp. I am at 3.2ghz right now and idle is 46c and I have it under stock volt of 1.2 down to 1.078 just to help keep temp down.

Heatsink has been reseated 3 times now none with any real change in temp. I had friend come and seat it once just in case it was me causing some problem. Temps still suck. Using the Noctua paste that comes with it, it's supposed to be really good.

So what I mean just keep reseating that stupid thing till I run out of TIM.

I have a HAF 932 if you check the link above link to pic. Showing build with parts list in there. But I have big case nice air flow, everything else in the case is really cool temp wise. It's just the cpu that's on fire. I get 66c on P95 and that was stock. It should've been 50c range.

Does anyone have an extra tips or advice. This temp issue is keeping me from enjoying my new $2200 rig.:bang head

Oh also the pic shows fans push pull venting up and out. I thought ok maybe its that, so it's now mounted east to west blowing out the back. Make basically no difference at all.

Yep I've spent a week now researching and days before I redid it twice. Still no improvement. I'm at 50c now idle @3.2 in a 80 F room temp. I say idle at this room temp I should be looking at 40c top idle. Especially since I have lowered the core volt from stock down to 1.078

Guess I'll try more to redo it yet again. I'll try the two thin lines of TIM this time. Do you twist 90 degrees each way still to spread it around when you first get it on. Or you guys prefer nice pressure only and fasten it down.

Yep I've read 100 posts, threads, articles this week on mounting and asked several places for idea's or help. I have a pretty good understanding of what's what and the entire process.

I've mounted it yet AGAIN and still I get high temps. I'm at 3.4ghz idle temp is 44c with place with central air on high. it must be 76 F in here tops. Again I've got it so much lower than default voltage too. It's at 1.078 from the stock 1.25 so really I'm no where near what it should be by any stretch.

I emailed Noctura because at first we though a fan was acting funny. But got that figured out fan seems fine. Either way 1 fan or 2 fan setup doesn't matter temps are way off. Do companies replace heatsinks if they aren't working. I thought I read somewhere they basically tell ya to bad. Even though this has 3 year warranty.

76F is still quite a warm room and 80F is downright hot. Room temp is 72F.

I'm using that same heatsink with a single fan on an E8500 and I'm at 35C idle and 43-44C under load. I'm also only running 1 exhaust fan atm. My room temp is typically 70-74F ... that is until the PC heats the room up. Just a small dab of Noctua's TIM on there.

Back