• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapped Phenom II X4 955, Earned 2c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Porvalsh

Hi. Just joined the boards here. I got into AMD CPU's and overclocking back with the Thunderbird chip. I went from a P3 900 to an Athlon Tbird 1.2ghz proc back in the day. From there I got into overclocking a little bit...although I only got that chip to 1.4ghz heh.

Anyways, I just built a new computer around the Phenom II 955, and I guess what is called the spider platform. Running the CPU on an MSI 790FX mobo with a Radeon 4890.

I have the V8 heatsink from cooler master and in preparation for overclocking I've been working on airflow and thermal transfer with the CPU and heatsink. The other day I was running at 50c full load but it must have been really hot in my room because today I was at 46c, 25c ambient temp in my room.

Anyways I had been reading a bit about lapping and decided to give it a go. The heatsink actually had a very good finish to it so I didn't bother with it. Intead I turned to the CPU and began lapping it. Below are my results. I've seen better, but I didn't want to revert to polish in case the chemical penetrated the copper, hurting any gains I would have recieved.

I took a pic before of course, so I had the stepping info :)

Now I'm at between 43.5 and 44c full load. I'm hoping to gain a bit more as the TIM sets over the next few days and cycles. Overall thats roughly 2-2.5c. I've very happy with how it turned out and at those full load temps I feel like I can begin tweaking and seeing what I can get this puppy to on air. I've read many reviews about the V8 handleing increased voltage and heat very well.

Idles 32c

Not bad, but I noticed you mentioned the heatsink having a nice "finish." Really the finish of it has nothing to do with it. There was a thread that I can't remember (will look for it) but it showed a flat lapped cpu that wasn't shiney compared to a shiney lapped cpu that wasn't flat.

Edit: Found it!

Last edited:
Not bad, but I noticed you mentioned the heatsink having a nice "finish." Really the finish of it has nothing to do with it. There was a thread that I can't remember (will look for it) but it showed a flat lapped cpu that wasn't shiney compared to a shiney lapped cpu that wasn't flat.

Edit: Found it!

Next time I have it off I'll have to check it for flatness but it looks like it was machined by an end mill operation and that is usually pretty flat. +/- .001-.003 not uncommon. Not sure if thats flat enough but yeah, haha.

I did single directional lapping on the CPU. Checked for flatness with a razor. No light although it seemed like the thickness of the shell was not consistent because the copper showed earlier on the outsides and a spot in the middle before filling out the entire chip. **Shrug**

yea they are like that, some of the older chips will have a high side along one whole edge kind of a pain.
also about the shiny finish, you can get super shiny and still be flat but theres really not mush point, thermal grease/compounds are arround for a reason.

there was also some place that compares super shiny vs finely sanded and dull and dull seemed to have a bit more improvment for some reason.
i cant remember why but i think it was something to do with the channels made in the surface of the material (tiny tiny channels) are better at dissapating the heat than a absoutly flat surface.

Back