• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Does USB Transfer Seem Slower On AMD Rigs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have noticed that every AMD Rig I have worked on or fixed USB data transfer isn't as fast as an INTEL one my friend has a INTEL P4 805 and a ASROCK board with a INTEL chipset on USB seems way faster on that than my rig below.

Why is that or is it just me.

If anything I've found the opposite to be true. I took my thumb-drive to work to transfer about 500 Mb of files from home to work and it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r for the work machine (an Intel Core system, not C2D) to transfer them while the transfer went comparatively fast at home. :shrug:

Have you actaully tested this or is it just a relative experience? It wouldn't take a whole lot to do a simple test and post some numbers ...

Last edited:
While I've never collected numbers to confirm I've never found much difference in USB transfer rates between systems built around one CPU manufacturers chips or the other.

If anything I've found the opposite to be true. I took my thumb-drive to work to transferred about 500 Mb of files from home to work and it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r for the work machine (an Intel Core system, not C2D) to transfer them while the transfer went comparatively fast at home.

QFT. My old SK41G's USB 2 rates are VASTLY superior to BOTH my QX9650 and my i7 920 setups. More than likely due to the way USB flows through the chipset on Intel boards. Knowing AMD, they prolly have nothing on the USB 2 bus, allowing for faster transfers.:bday:

I find the AMD rigs are better also , compared to the two rigs in my sig the AMD machine transfers faster.

Back