• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU choice for multi-gpu setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

I've seen the benchmarks of multi-gpu setups with core i7- I was surprised to see it scale so well when the reviews first came out. I've been wanting to try a multi-gpu setup again for a while, and figured that if I were to do that, it may be a good idea to switch over to a quad core vs. my current dual core.

I'm curious though- how do the Phenom II quads compare to i7 for multi-gpu? All I've seen are benchmarks for single card performance. All I use my main computer for is gaming, so I wonder if it would benefit me to mess around with an AMD setup again (the last time was when the Opteron x2's were all the rage.)

Purely rhetorical question, I'm not looking for advice on hardware or "what to do," I'm just interested if anyone has done a multi-gpu comparison between i7 and Phenom II yet.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any multigpu setup comparisons between the Phenom 2 and I7, so i looked it up.
They used the 810 and not the 9X0 line, but I doubt that it would make a difference with scaling. Link.

With a possible hydra launch in less than a month it might not mean much anyway.

Ah, that article is what I was looking for. They didn't report the same amount of ridiculous scaling between i7 and C2Q as some other reviewers have, but i7 definitely did better than the phenom II. Question answered it looks like.

And, Hydra? Is that the tech that is supposed to allow one to mix different types of video cards together?

And, Hydra? Is that the tech that is supposed to allow one to mix different types of video cards together?

That, and it is supposed to allow near linear multi-gpu scaling and less compatibility problems (because the games "see" it as one card) independent of the processor... Until the game is processor limited of course.

Back