• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much ram for file server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automiketic

Just ordered a Tyan Thunder K8SR S2881 and memory for it is not exactly cheap. It can support up to 16gb i believe but I doubt U need that much. I am going to use this setup as a file server for a home network whos primary purpose will be to stream video to the networked computers. I was thinking 4gb would suffice, but I'm not really sure if I need that much, and I doubt I need more. My question is how much should I get?

For a straight up file server it seems like 1gb would probably do it. Hell maybe even less depending on what OS you're using.

I'm not really familiar with server 2003. A very rough rule of thumb is to look at how much ram the system uses on a clean boot and double it. XP fully updated is around 220-260mb, giving 512 or so as the bare minimum i would use.
Obviously if you're running programs beyond the OS you may need more, firefox alone runs 100mb with a couple tabs open.

If you are streaming blu ray rips get at least 2gb even though 1gb will do.

I had 1gb in my WHS, 2003 server baised, and it worked just fine for 30gb uncompressed blu ray rips but I moved it up to 3gb just to have it.

hmm if 2gb is a min mayb ill just go 3gbs. can always move up to 4gb later if its needed and i never like to go with the minimum.

yeah i realized that could still do 3gbs but would probably more pricey then just doing 4gbs. (256x4 & 512x4)

yes but unfortunately the board requires registerd ecc ram which is very pricey. 1 gb sticks start around $50 a pc. there is a few deals out there on 512mb chips where u can get a pair for $20 -$25 even found some a bit cheaper so it seems going more chips at smaller sizes is the cheapest way here.

yes but unfortunately the board requires registerd ecc ram which is very pricey. 1 gb sticks start around $50 a pc. there is a few deals out there on 512mb chips where u can get a pair for $20 -$25 even found some a bit cheaper so it seems going more chips at smaller sizes is the cheapest way here.

As I mentioned before in the other thread, check Ebay. Here is a lot of 8x1GB Samsung ECC REG DDR for $95 + Shipping.

You can also use my search script that I made to specifically find 2x1gb ECC Reg DDR off Ebay if you wish.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_SALE...&_from=R10&_ipg=50&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udhi=&_udlo=

There is also the question of NUMA as well, although this will require 4 sticks of RAM (2 per CPU for dual channel). As for the benefits, well I'm not sure if it will help a simple file server any, but it's interesting to tinker with.

I ran this exact combo with 4 gigs of RAM a while ago, worked great. I'd say 1 GB is the least you would want for a nice perky server and anything over 4 GB is overkill. I'm sure though as said above that 512 MB - 1 GB could get you by.

Back