• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

switching to Vista...will i need to restart my OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

As the title says.
In a day or 2 I will be receiving a brand new copy of Vista home premium 64bit from the egg..(with free win 7 upgrade)

Is it advisable to revert my system back to stock speeds to do the install and then redo my over clock??? Or will it make any difference.

Also I have heard that vista 64 bit is harder to hold a stable overclock with...any one have any issues with this.

Any body have any other things about installing vista that I should be aware of.

>>and yes I am aware that there is a good chance that my current rig wont run vista as snappy as I can with XP... but I am saving for an upgrade.<<

I think it's always a good idea to set clocks back when installing an O/S. It at least takes that out of the equation if you run into problems. Vista has been just as stable as XP with overclocking for me, but I don't run at the edge of stability. I have more room for overclocking, but the added hassle and heat aren't worth it imo.

Shoudlnt be a problem, keep your OC.

But if you are leaving XP... why vista? go windows 7. Im running it right now and it runs much better than vista IMO.

Just have to get used to the taskbar.

:eek: two conflicting ideas....

as for not jumping directly to Win7.... Well I do have the RC but I have been having issues with it. (i am guessing it is due to the young drivers - I hope) Any way the copy of Vista I bought comes with a coupon for a free Windows upgrade.

There is a *chance* that if your o/c is unstable that it will bork the install. With that in mind, I always go back to stock just in case. How hard is it really to plug your o/c back in when its installed? A minute?

Take it back to stock. The time for installation will not increase (or, if it does, it will be very marginally) and is mainly dictated by your HDD speeds. It's always better safe than sorry when performing something as low level as an OS install.

Look at it this way: If something goes wrong with the install and you're overclocked, you'll need to turn it back to stock as part of troubleshooting anyway, so if you turn it down now, you'll know for a fact that it's not your overclock and can take out one additional troubleshooting step.

If you're oc is truely stable (not lawl i play video games and it doesn't crash stable) it shouldn't be a problem. But even then, why risk it?

I've never had a problem OC'ing with vista. Should be fine. Never had a problem period with Vista. I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rap.

OMG. Im an idiot. My bad.

Sooooooo, I second his notion. No issues here with Vista o/c vs XP vs W7. But with it being 64 bit (not the OS itself) you may lose a bit at the highest end of the o/c.

I'd think if you had stability problems with any O/S, you're overclock's bad. You might get lucky with a particular O/S, where your instability doesn't show up, but that could be a time bomb waiting to happen, and you're 1 flipped bit away from disaster.

Well I have never had any issues with XP at my current speed. I did have some very minor issues at 2800 MHz. But since I have dropped down to 2700MHz (months ago) I have not had one issue...

I'd think if you had stability problems with any O/S, you're overclock's bad. You might get lucky with a particular O/S, where your instability doesn't show up, but that could be a time bomb waiting to happen, and you're 1 flipped bit away from disaster.
This is very true. I've had "rock solid", folding stable overclocks (for months and months) fail when folding in Linux. It's rare, but does happen. Stability is always somewhat relative, no matter what you use to test it or how long you use it. We can only be reasonably certain our overclocks won't fail, never absolutely, 100%. The only absolute guarantee that a system will not fail due to an overclock is to run stock settings. :bday:

I feel so conflicted... ARG................

well the mail lady came and went so I will either get it tomorrow or monday (if not I will truly be upset)... In other words I still have time to decide how to go about this.

Back