• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a PC for my sister

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulis101

Registered
Hey, I'll be building a new PC for my sister, and I would like your opinion on the parts, or make other suggestions. My sister isn't a heavy gamer, but the new PC is meant to last for at least 4 years, so it has to be solid.
That's what I have in mind:

CoolerMaster Elite 333 Black Case (RC-333-KKN1-GP) - M-ATX
AMD Phenom II X3 705e (sAM3, 2.5GHz, Cache 7.5MB, Box)
Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H (AM3, DDR3)
2 x Kingston 1GB DDR3-1333 RAM Dimm (PC3 10600, KVR1333D3N9/1G)
Sapphire 4650 SVGA (PCI-Express, VGA, 1GB DDR2)
LG GH22NS40 Black DVD-RW + / - (Sata, Bulk)
Western Digital 320GB (16MB Cache, 7200rpm, Sata 2, WD3200AAKS)

I still don't know what PSU to use and how powerful it should be, any ideas?
Will there be any bottlenecking?
Any incompatibilites?
The budget limit is around 600$, and this system is at the limit.
Thank you in advance.

First off :welcome: to OCF

1. I would go for a 2x2 (4GB) kit of memory
2. Switch to the Seagate 7200.12 500 GB Hard Drive. Single platter design, quiet, and FAST.
3. There won't be much gaming with a 4650, but low to mid settings on some games, would be possible. Is there a reason you chose the 1GB version?
4. PSU... Corsair 450W, would suit you well, and is very reliable http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003 you could also step down to the 400 and be OK, but it's only $5 cheaper after the MIR

Bottlenecking? There is ALWAYS a bottleneck... it just flip-flops between components, depending on what you upgrade.

Last edited:
Is she into WOW?

Are you located in the US? Once in a while newegg will have a combo deal with motherboard and CPU. I save $30 with one combo and got a very decent system plus a $15 rebate that's in the mail but that can or cannot count :).

What you have there is very capable for gaming, but if she's not into that, then you can get:

-dual core X2 CPU
-1x 2gb DDR3 RAM instead of 2x 1gb - you'll save a few bux.
-512mb DDR 4650 or nVidia equivalent (save about $10-$20) OR go with a 4670 (much better gaming performance)

Corsair PSU is very good and reliable, but also expensive. If it turns out to be over budget, then maybe you can also go with an Antec PSU. They are also reliable and have 3 year warranties. For that system, an Antec 380watt EarthWATT model PSU is very capable.

Check this site out:
http://www.pcper.com/hwlb.php?guide4=y#guide4

The price might vary if you buy all of those parts from newegg.com as they aren't always the lowest, but they are the most reliable overall.

That 'budget' gaming system will be very capable. All you need is a 'cheap' case to put it all in, but that microATX case will not do.

First up, thanks a lot for the quick input. Then, I also checked out the Seagate, and yep it's a lot better. As for the 4650, well, there was no particular reason for choosing the 1GB version other than the fact that the price difference between the 512MB and the 1GB was less than 10$. Also, I live in Greece, so no neweggs here :( . Soon as I read your post nzaeb, I thought that the Corsair would be my PSU of choice, but when I checked its price, I nearly fell off my chair. And I also can't seem to find that Antec PSU anywhere madhatter. Here's a little something I came across:

CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 400W PSU (RS-400-PCAP-A3)
Type: ATX12V V2.3 (Will it collaborate nicely with the mobo?)

DC Output +3,3V -> 20A

DC Output +5V -> 20A

DC Output +12V1 -> 16A

DC Output +12V2 -> 18A

* 1 x 20+4 Pin
* 1 x 4+4 Pin CPU
* 1 x 6 Pin PCIe
* 5 x 4 Pin Molex
* 4 x 4 Pin Sata
* 1 x 4 Pin FDD
Are these OK?

It's half the price of a 400W Corsair, with a two-year guarantee.
Oah and, do you have any suggestions concerning the case?

I would go for a cheaper case if possible. Lots of companies make cases. You might score one for $20-$40 USD. Just make sure it has a decent layout and good airflow design (front fan intake and rear fan output) that takes 120mm rans as those are most efficient and quiet. Some might come with PSU, but I wouldn't use it, the coolermaster will outlast the ones that come with the case.

What's the price difference between a 4650 and 4670?

Well, the Sapphire 4670 Ultimate SVGA (PCI-Express, Ultimate, 512MB) is 20$ more expensive than the 4650, which has double the memory. What's your opinion?

Well, the Sapphire 4670 Ultimate SVGA (PCI-Express, Ultimate, 512MB) is 20$ more expensive than the 4650, which has double the memory. What's your opinion?

That increased GPU memory will only come in handy if you're using a higher resolution (40" HD TV for instance) What size monitor will she be using?
Just for comparison purposes, can you tell me what the Corsair PSU costs over there?

It'll be a 22" inch with a 1600 * 1200 or something, and the Corsair costs 115$ here.

There's a 4670 flavor with GDDR3 ram, it is far superior to the GDDR2 version.

size of the tv/monitor has nothing to do with it, its all about the res being run on the tv/monitor. i would suggest a ati 4770....

Back