• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

73" 1080p 120hz DLP ~$1725 shipped..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Beware DLP's, they look nice but sometimes the upkeep (buying lamps, etc) just end up not being worth it.

I own a 60 inch Mitsubishi DLP and it failed on me after only 3 months of use, and apparently repair costs are 300+ (only paid 1000 for the unit.)

Beware DLP's, they look nice but sometimes the upkeep (buying lamps, etc) just end up not being worth it.

I own a 60 inch Mitsubishi DLP and it failed on me after only 3 months of use, and apparently repair costs are 300+ (only paid 1000 for the unit.)

Didn't it come with a 1 year warranty??

Ratbuddy, you can buy one, and then drive it over to my house and keep it there :p I have plenty of room for it :D

My brother lives up in Suffield, dad in Stafford Springs.. I might have to move up to that part of the state anyway :beer:

Buyer beware, I bought a 61" DLP off woot for a undesclosed amount...50% off retail price. Felt good, looked good but after a little ovver one year -bling- the lights go out! I google the lamp part # and it is $500 to replace. Ahem...my buddy and me took 2 AK-47's and the DLP out to a gravel pit and blew it apart~! Mmmm, sucked but was very fun~~~~~~~>

Bought a 52" Philips W/Pixel Perfect at CostCo for about the same price a couple years ago and have never looked back. I love my Big Screen LCD and will never look back.

Beware the DLP....

Yeah, sorry I didn't respond sooner, but even though mine is still under warranty the thing about DLP's is the upkeep it will end up being the same as how much you paid for the initial TV at the end of a years time. I've since bought 2 Samsund LCD tv's and haven't looked back as well. =D

I've had a 51" Samsung DLP for about 2.5 years, and I've yet to replace the bulb. However, I looked into bulb replacement cost and it's less than $150 shipped. The cost of an LCD or plasma of that size (at the time) would have FAR surpassed my DLP and several bulb replacements. The claim about the upkeep of a DLP being the same as the initial cost of the TV after 1 year is greatly exaggerated.

3d is the major selling point for me. Can't do that on an LCD (at >22" and 1080p) or plasma yet.

On my dlp I had to replace the bulb once after about a year, but then 1.5 years later it had black vertical lines everywhere. Cleaning the dust inside helped a little bit but then it came back :(

Im VERY happy with my samsung 56" DLP 1080p TV. I purchased it almost a year ago for $1200. GREAT purchase IMO. I wouldnt hesitate on a DLP if you are looking to save a few hundred.

3d vision... umm dont you still need a good 1k's worth of software and stupid gogles to make 3d work.... and even then its only in a VERY select few games?

as far as DLP vs LCD... i got a 62inch mitsubichi DLP downstairs and a 52in samsung lcd upstairs... much prefer the LCD but the DLP is nice, had it for 3 yrs now and the bulb has never gone out.

And for a 73inch screen your looking at an optimal viewing distance of 18.25 ft back (3x the diagonal).

Ok, I can't find the difference between the WD-7373 and the WD-73C9. I just looked at theh spec on the mitsubishi web site. They're identical except for one line which contained a very forgettable word that mitsubishi made up themselves.

3d vision... umm dont you still need a good 1k's worth of software and stupid gogles to make 3d work.... and even then its only in a VERY select few games?

as far as DLP vs LCD... i got a 62inch mitsubichi DLP downstairs and a 52in samsung lcd upstairs... much prefer the LCD but the DLP is nice, had it for 3 yrs now and the bulb has never gone out.

And for a 73inch screen your looking at an optimal viewing distance of 18.25 ft back (3x the diagonal).

1. 3d Vision is $200 brand spankin' new, and works with the vast majority of games released in the past few years. $200 is the price of the goggles and transmitter. No extra software or whatever to buy.

2. The old "3x the diagonal" thing hasn't been true since HDTVs came out. Go check out the chart at the top of http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

As you can see, at 18 feet, you can barely tell 480p from 720p on a 73" screen. The actual sweet spot for 73" is between ~10-13 feet or so.

well guess i was misinformed.

the whole 3dvision IMO is a joke, never looked good really. 200 bucks isnt bad tho.

And 10 ft back for a 73incher man that would be too close for me lol.

Back