• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TRUE doesn't fit properly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Unreel

Registered
Hi everyone. Newb here who just built the first computer.

I used the following:

Antec 900
TRUE 120 EX
eVGA X58 SLI LE

I've built the rig up and it works fine, except that the heatsink of TRUE is so close to the top edge of the case and the only way for the fan to fit in is to horizontally mount the HS and face the fan DOWNWARD. (with the case standing up)

There is too little room to face the fan upwards, and if I attempt to face it to rear, the top of the fan will get blocked by the edge of the case and it won't fit in either. So now it's blowing hot air downward in the case and I guess the air flow in there must be pretty messed up.:bang head

Anything I can do other than getting another case?

Thanks ahead of time.

:welcome: to O/C Forums.

Well it definatly sounds like you need a new case but if you can help us out with some pics we may be able to help some more.

Here are some pics.

DSC03532.JPG

DSC03533.JPG

DSC03534.JPG

As you can see, the fan is facing down, and no way I can switch its position to top. If I rotate the HS 90 degree and try to place the fan towards the rear, the top edge of the case would also get into way. (tried many times for these ways, hard T_T)

Hey thats not to bad. The fan is blowing towards the top of the case wright? (Not sucking top too bottom?)

EDIT: infact on further inspection it seems your fan is blowing to the top. I wouldn't be worried if I were you. Seems ok to me.

You can do facing out the top or out the back, either works just as well as the other in my experience. You can fit push pull in, but it's a bit of a chore getting the pull fan up there.

You are using a 1366 TRUE with the fan bracket, that totally limits your configuration. It's a bad design IMO.

Replace that thing with some better stand alone fans and you will be much happier.

Here's a picture of what I've done in the past.

Just don't cut the end off :p

Looks fine to me. I might duct the right side to the top of the case to direct the hot air to the rear and the exhaust fan. Unless, of course, there is a top exhaust fan, in which case you're golden. If there isn't, cutting a hole and putting one in might drop your temps a degree or three.

Hey thats not to bad. The fan is blowing towards the top of the case wright? (Not sucking top too bottom?)

EDIT: infact on further inspection it seems your fan is blowing to the top. I wouldn't be worried if I were you. Seems ok to me.

Oh, :eek: sorry if I sound stupid. So it's ok to blow air into the HS? I thought HS are only meant to be blown outwards...

Anyway, that'll be great and I just need to switch the direction of the fan. Thanks :bday:

Well, how come I didn't switch it in the first place to at least make things go better...:bang head

Oh wow, I thought you knew that. Doesn't that fan bracket come with the fan mounted in the proper configuration? Yes, you need a fan with a decent static pressure rating to blow air through those tightly packed fins to carry away the dispersed heat brought in by the heat pipes. Absolutely. I was wondering why you were having a problem with the configuration in your picture. lol

Just don't cut the end off :p

Looks fine to me. I might duct the right side to the top of the case to direct the hot air to the rear and the exhaust fan. Unless, of course, there is a top exhaust fan, in which case you're golden. If there isn't, cutting a hole and putting one in might drop your temps a degree or three.

Yeh, there is a top exhaust fan. Looks there's nothing i need to worry:bday:

Oh wow, I thought you knew that. Doesn't that fan bracket come with the fan mounted in the proper configuration? Yes, you need a fan with a decent static pressure rating to blow air through those tightly packed fins to carry away the dispersed heat brought in by the heat pipes. Absolutely. I was wondering why you were having a problem with the configuration in your picture. lol

Yes, I made sure they were properly mounted.

BTW, are you suggesting another cooler, or just another fan?

I would say 99% of the time it's always best having your fan pushing air through your HS rather than pulling air from it. Like Bobnova has already said, you could mount a 2nd fan pulling air through the HS. This would mean putting a fan on top of your HS blowing towards the top of the case (Called a "push-pull" configuration) Might lower your temps by a small amount.

hey, you have a similar setup to mine, Antec 900, TRUE...but i ditched the fan braket a while ago...didn't like the look of it after a while.

do answer your question, you won't benefit much from a new cooler, the TRUE's already one of the best ones you can get. but a new fan will do wonders, if you get the right one. is the fan you're currently using the one that comes packaged?
if so, get your hands on a Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm or 1600rpm (go higher if you don't mind noise) and you'll get better temps for sure.

I have dual Yate Loon high speed (88 CFM, 40 Db) on my Ultra 120-A, but I have mine rotated 90 degrees of the OP. I would say, ditch the stock fan, and go with something with a higher CFM, and if you can, find something 38mm thick, instead of the typical 25mm. That will give you a higher static pressure, which makes it easier for the fan to push air through the tightly packed fins. The more air you have moving through your TRUE, the better it will perform. The only other things I can think of for better performance are lapping and the washer mod. Other than that, with the Antec 900, the orientation of the HSF shouldn't matter too much, as long as you aren't pushing air toward the front or bottom of the case. I have seen some blowing air toward the top, and some blowing toward the rear, and both directions were getting similar results.

Yeh I'm using the stock fan. Guess it's time for me to get a bigger one since I plan to overclock my D0.

So much help i can get here. Definately glad I came:soda:

I'm getting the same setup in a few days, but I think I'm going with the 300 .. as it's only temporary o_O

I hope the 300 doesn't have any fitting issues with the TRUE :S

Work on that cable management! Would increase airflow a good bit :p

I'm getting the same setup in a few days, but I think I'm going with the 300 .. as it's only temporary o_O

I hope the 300 doesn't have any fitting issues with the TRUE :S

Work on that cable management! Would increase airflow a good bit :p

I know, the cable management sucks. My PSU is a non-modulate and I tried to put all the unused cables through the hole to the other side, but the hole is too small and filled already by other cables. Should've got a Lian Li over this.

I know, the cable management sucks. My PSU is a non-modulate and I tried to put all the unused cables through the hole to the other side, but the hole is too small and filled already by other cables. Should've got a Lian Li over this.

Make your own hole! haha. It's not to hard :p

Even if you can't get it to the back, you can just twist tie everything up and tuck it at the bottom away from the flow from the front fans :)

Back