• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8500 become unstable over time???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qq

I had this E8500 E0 CPU for about 7 months now and I was able to get it to 4208mhz @ 1.328v overnight orthos small FFT stable. Recently, I decided to run orthos small FFT again just to test out the CPU and then it crashed in 4 minutes :cry:. I thought it was degradation since my CPU only needed 1.296v to run 4.2ghz when I purchase it, then 1.312v 2 weeks later, finally 1.328v another 2 weeks later and it was stable ever since. So I bumped up my voltage to 1.344v and it crash 4 minutes in small FFT again :temper: WTF? I use Asus P5k-E motherboard BIOS 1202 and here are my settings below.

Multiplier = 9.5x
FSB = 443mhz
STRAP = 333mhz
DRAM = 1:1 887mhz 4-4-4-12
PCI-E = 100mhz

CPU Vcore = 1.35v in BIOS (1.328v in CPU-Z)
CPU PLL = 1.5v
CPU Termination VTT = 1.1v
DRAM = 2.2v
NB = 1.4v
SB = 1.05v
CPU over voltage = Auto
CPU GTL = auto
NB GTL = auto
Load line calibration = Enable
CPU Spectrum = disable
PCI-E Spectrum = disable

4gb ram 4x1gb OCZ Platinum
400 watt corsair VX400 power supply
evga 9800gt with thermaltake DuOrb
OS = Windows XP x64 SP2

I use thermaltake cl-p0024 full copper tower with a vantec stealth 92nm fan with a very thin layer of AS5. Idle at 31/38 and load at 59/60 orthos small fft. I also ran memtest86 for 2 hours and it's stable, and I also have a thermaltake spirit on the NB. Could this be cpu degradation?? :cry:

This really seems to be a CPU degradation.

You can try with lower multi and see if its stable to test the MOBO/RAM.

It must be something else, I dont think its CPU degredation, mainly because I routinely feed my cpu between 1.4-1.53v. Thats what I need to run 4300-4700mhz. ive had this cpu for 6 months, and its on 24/7 except for maintenance :)

Is your ram rated for 4-4-4-x? Maybe try 5-5-5 and see what happens :thup:

Are you sure you initially had it stable? Once you get something stable, you generally dont test it unless something is going on w/ your computer (reboots, crashes, ect). Are you having those issues?

1.328v @ 4.2ghz is pretty good and sounds spot on for an E0. Maybe, just maybe, your single test wasnt good enough for stability and maybe you need to test a bit further?

Also, Id also like to know what happens when you raise the ram timings. Also, try giving it some VTT, it may help without raising the CPU voltage.

I tried 5-5-5-15 and still no luck :cry:

When I set my vcore to 1.328v couple months ago, I can run 7-8 hours over night orthos small FFT, large FFT and blend without any trouble. I just leave it on when I go to bed and tomorrow morning wake up still running. I did not experience any blue screen or crash, just I want to re-test my system for stability every month or so. I never raise the vcore more than 1.3625v and only tried 1.2v VTT for couple hours. Later I found out the max VTT for my CPU is 1.15v, so I immediately lower that to 1.1v and re-test my system for stability, passed 7-8 hours small/large/blend orthos without any issues. I can run large FFT for couple hours without any error, just can't run small FFT right now :mad::temper::bang head... I can run games, application all day and won't give me any crash. So should I be worrying about orthos small FFT???

Hes speaking of SMALL FFT ... over night 7 months ago, and now 4 minutes crash ... Small is mostly CPU related.

Who said 1.15v is the max for VTT? VTT max from intel is 1.45v. Alot of people bring it up to 1.2-1.3v to get stability. I know for me, 1.26-1.28v worked great.

My VTT is like yours.

But i agree he can raise it ... its damn low !

Last edited:
I can set PLL from 1.5 to 1.8v and VTT 1.1 to 1.5v with 0.1v increment. I can't set it to 1.54v for PLL or 1.15v for VTT, so I have to set PLL at 1.5 and VTT at 1.1.

Today I pull out my motherboard and took off the heatsink. I clean off the old arctic silver 5 paste and re-apply fresh pea sized in the center, and reinstall my heatsink. Then I reset the CMOS and then use the old settings I had in BIOS with 1.35v cpu vcore. I fired up OCCT and pass 1 hour of CPU test, then tried orthos small FFT another 3 hours+ stable. I will stress it overnight today and see if the system is stable. The thing I forgot to mention is I switched from Windows xp 32 bit to xp x64 recently, maybe 64 bit OS stress the CPU more and lead to orthos small fft crash?? :eek:

Update: I went to fry's and grab a new antec three hundred case and I was shocked with the result. I carefully hide all the extra cables at the back of the case to ensure expectional air flow and then now I can run my E8500 at 1.304v still at 4.2ghz. :clap: I'm going to try orthos small FFT overnight today. Thanks for all your help. :thup: ;)

47543464.jpg

2009082908h45cpu1.png

2009082908h45cpu2.png

Final update: 5 hours+ stable on orthos small FFT now at 1.312v 62/60C when I got back from home. 6C difference with antec three hundred compraed to my old thermaltake mambo case, pretty shocking..

A 64bit OS does indeed stress a CPU differently, often a 32bit OC that is right on the knife edge of stability will be distinctly unstable in a 64bit OS.

Back