• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone have a 9600GSO 512MB/1GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueMax

Hey OCF :beer:

Just wondering if anyone has owned or currently has a 9600GSO 512MB/1GB, the ones with the 48SP's and 256-BIT bus. Just wondering how well those cards game.

I know the GSO's are supposed to be the 192-BIT bus with 96SP's, but I heard the new "gimped" ones make no difference? :confused:

Thanks! :D

I bought several of those for building PCs for girls. They so cheap. I liked the performance in the ones that had 512MB DDR3 with 1800 memory clock (effective). They were exactly 10% slower that a 9600GT in 3D Mark Vantage. Then I got another one that had 1GB memory but DDR2 and only 800mhz effective clock. That one was 50% slower than a 9600GT and i returned it. Hope that helps.

Also, Tomshardware has many tests with these cards, but they amount to about what I told you - a good 9600 GSO is about 10% slower than a 9600GT.

They work fine with all games on low resolutions. In most cases I could set graphics to max and still have acceptable FPS. Wouldn't use them for anything higher than 1400x900 for gaming though

Thanks,

Doesn't the 9600GSO with 192-BIT Bus and 96SP's perform better than the 9600GT?

Supposedly I would guess so, as the 9600gt has 64 I think. Considering the 8800gt has 112 it shouldn't be too far behind that depending on clock speeds.

Supposedly I would guess so, as the 9600gt has 64 I think. Considering the 8800gt has 112 it shouldn't be too far behind that depending on clock speeds.
I would think the 9600GT would be faster due to being G92 vs G80, which is more efficient and faster per clock.

I have owned 3 9600GSO and read reviews in tomshardware for 2 others, and I have never seen any of them quite match a 9600GT. The best they can get is within 10%.

That said, they are crazy cheap and still play most games well on small monitors. Not long ago I bought one on Newegg that was $40 after MIR.

Sometimes it's not about what you can affort, but about what you are gona use it for. Girls don't play no games, (may be SIMS) so buying a more expensive cards is just a waste.

Back