• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd bulldozer 12 cores, 48 w/hyperthreading?!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Where did you see 12 cores in that article? I could have missed it, but I read "more than 4 cores, more than 8MB cache, and supports DDR3". I did see the last sentence but wasnt sure if that was the "HT" or actual cores.

Anyway, "HT" FTW!

Ahh yes....you are correct. :)

Dont forget Intel will have new chips out around then also. Another solid one from the looks of it by AMD!

i wonder if there will be a time when all chips are 3ghz and we tell the speed by the cores :screwy:

Wow 12 or 16 cores in the near future! Isn't 4 cores and Multi-Threading enough?

I'm happy to see AMD putting it all together again.

There is little that can put a quad into full load currently short of synthetics.

a 16core desktop is ludicrous at best IMO.

WOO HOO I can run 47 instances of Firefox, email, IE, Opera, AND EvE at the same time and still manage to rip bluerays with zero issue!

But can you open 1 instance of Adobe PDF?

That's 8 dual core VMs folding :D

All i want is the ability to run full screen video in unbuntu. More cores, more mhz, drivers, i don't care how they do it :p

There is little that can put a quad into full load currently short of synthetics.

WOO HOO I can run 47 instances of Firefox, email, IE, Opera, AND EvE at the same time and still manage to rip bluerays with zero issue!

Depends what those cores are doing. If you have a system with 16 ULV cores that can power themselves completely off depending on load, it could save a ton of power during typical use, while still having enough juice to run demanding stuff.

I think he saw the "16 cores" on the bottom article.
amd_server_platform_roadmap.png

12 cores at load, so how many rods will we have to buy for out personal power plants a year?

Pretty sure this is aimed at the server market, and yes they will be utilized :)

Folding@Home + Bonus work units!!

AMD will use a type of multithreading, NOT HYPERTHREADING (SMT). SMT is trash in the eyes of AMD. AMD will use CMT, Cluster-based Multi-threading, which you will hear about in the future. Or you can read my post on XS which highlights some of Dresdenboy's findings. Enjoy:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232784

AMD set out to do this in 2005 and it seems they are ON TRACK! Click the link above to find more.
3663732_9bc35365d1_l.png

looks like a server design, the home pc market will likely see 6 and 8 core 32 nm chips before this bulldozer design, and amd's new line of chips will incorporate "variations" of this bulldozer, I doubt we will get a cpu for home use of this scale in 2011.

still no plans for AMD to use Rambus XDR2, I suppose if it were cost effective both vendors would be using it right now, you can clearly see how ddr3 is a joke and just bottle necks performance, 1.33ghz-1.6ghz < 8ghz+ to bad us consumers are so cheap right?

You guys aren't asking the right questions or discussing the right topics...

Will this CPU reach 6ghz like its brothers?

why would we ask that when its a server chip?
what are the odds your going to get a motherboard thats going to handle the processor well enough and provide the right settings to get a decent overclock.

i am guessing the odds are slim

Back