• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jgv115

Just started.. I'm not a pro at overclocking but I know the basics...

66372699.gif

They are out in some shops in Australia/China. But there are very few. It's ideal to get them from a distributor.

The CPU cost around 300 aussie. The 920 costs around 360-400 aussie.

This mobo was around 220 aussie. There are cheaper ones (UD4, UD3P,UD3R)

Ok starting my overclocking journey.

This is what i've done so far...

I've tried to find the highest bclk.
i've hit a wall at 200...
I lowered all the multipliers to the lowest (CPU multi to 15) then just raised the blck.

I can't get to 210 or 205. Since i'm on stock cooling, I can't keep piling on the voltages.

So i'm at 3ghz (15X200) 1.216 vcore on CPUZ.

The one bad thing I've found about this is you can't adjust the uncore multiplier. The QPI multiplier only have X32 and X36 choices.

Last edited:
With a Core i7 maybe.

I am now running at 19X200 = 3800mhz.

75 degrees underload P95 for a few minutes.

Windows 7 is really ****ing the **** out of me. It is really sensitive in overclocks.

I can do 19X200 alright but when i try 20X200 it always BSODs.

I know it's no the QPI problem because i'm only raising the multiplier of the CPU. So I guess I don't have enough vcore. I'll report back later..

Alright this is ridiculous! Let me in Windows 7!!!!

I've raised vcore to 1.3V and it STILL BSODs!!!

Ok it lets me in at 20X190. 3.8... This is stupid

Now 20X195. Looks like i can never reach 200

Ok i got what a wanted... 4ghz!!

Untitled-14.png

I raised the vcore to 1.35 in the BIOS and finally got windows 7 to boot. Not stable obviously.

I reckon this CPU is MUCH more harder to OC than the 870. Enthusiasts jump onto 920 or lynnfield core i7s. More "less enthusiastic" users jump onto i5.

Last edited:
XP anyone? :3

Looks like you are the first person here with an i5, good job. Run every bench you can find at 3.6, 3.8, and 4.0 if you can, we'd love to crunch some numbers with that. :)

I believe that CPU has Turboboost. Did you turn it off? That may negatively impact overclocks that are near the edge for less threaded applications.

Back