• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC Software Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automiketic

Let me start off by saying that I have 2 computers. One that will be used strictly to watch video being streamed over my network and browse the web. The second is my main rig so it is used to game, browse, and at night to watch video streamed over the network. Right now I just use VLC because I love that I dont have to download any codecs. Unfortunately as far as I have seen you cant use a remote with VLC. I absolutely hate Windows Media Player and if this the only way I can use a remote then I won't but is there any other software out there that allows for easy function of the remote and no codecs? If not what would you folks suggest? I have read the stickies but they seem to be quite out of date.

If there is anything else available that doesn't require additional codecs other than VLC, then it must package it along with the player.

I'd just install ffdshow and Haali Media Splitter and use whatever player you want. Those two alone will take care of just about anything you can throw at it.

You can get Girder and make up a script to accept input from anything, even most brands of remotes for Windows. Some remotes also come with thier own software to allow use of other programs, so through some combination, you sould be able to use a remote with VLC.

EventGhost is another option that can handle IR remote codes and send them to applications like VLC. It even has a specific plug-in for VLC so that the remote shouldn;t require much/any custom setup. If you have a remote like a Harmony and an IR receiver like a USB-UIRT you just choose the plug-ins for those and also for the app you want to control like VLC. You might need to do a little setup to handle the context switching if you use the remote for other functions at the HTPC too (like media center/TV etc.).

You might also want to look at using Media Player Classic-Homecinema as the player app It doesn't need external codecs but can use them if you want. It's easy to integrate with a remote + EventGhost (I'm doing it after all ;)). It has configurable key codes for remote functions. It handles most any media format with internal codecs and can even do HA on your gfx card for h.264 material.

It's certainly possible to do what you want with VLC or something else.

well thats good news that I may able to use with VLC as I really like using it. Any certain Remote/and IR set that I should look at?

The low cost option would be an MCE remote that comes with an IR receiver. There are lots of them. Are you planning to use a media browser app like Windows Media Center or Media Portal or do you just intend to use VLC for everything? You'll need enough codes to be able to locate and select files if you aren't going to use a browser gui or else have a keyboard/mouse attached to do file navigation then use the remote for playback control. If you're trying to do everything with a remote but no browser I'd look at the Harmony remotes and USB-UIRT receiver for some added capability. If you do use a browser you'll have to get that to launch VLC and play what you select. That's another hurdle. The Harmony would be useful if you have any other devices you want to control too like a TV or receiver.

Last edited:
What's to hate about Media Center if you navigate with a remote from your couch? I find it a nice solution - very "TiVo-like" and designed for remote-control navigation. I run a W7 HTPC with the W7 Codecs, and I play any file I need to locally or over the network while kicking back on the couch. It also records all of my ATSC OTA-HD programs as "Season Passes" - this allows me to save disk space on my DirecTV HD-DVR for "Premium Encrypted Content" since the HD-DVR only has like 50Hours of HD recording space.

Anyways - I enjoy W7 Media Center. What, exactly, makes other solutions "Better"? Just curious what is so "broken" with Media Center (especially in a remote-control type environment) I do use VLC for certain scenarios on my Desktop PC (playing a file that is still DL'ing, etc), but WMP is my primary player with W7 Codec Pack on my Desktop, too. Is this just an "Anti MS" thing? Or what am I missing?

:cool:

Back