• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard advice. (stay or go)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NssOne

Registered
So, I can't decide if the motherboard I originally bought is as good as what I wish I had in reality. I was basically building a low budget system with some overclocking in mind, but I didn't really know all the factors in overclocking before I bought everything. I think everything else I bought for my system is good enough, but the motherboard leaves me wanting more. I'm just wondering if I should look around for a better motherboard or if I should keep with what I have.

Please chime in, I could use some advice here. And if anybody is into suggesting a different motherboard for me keep in mind two things: 1) the motherboard I have was originally only $65 and 2) one of the reasons I bought it was because it didn't have an on-board video. I'm just not into having one with my motherboard.

Thanks.

The best motherboard that has what I'm looking for a cheap enough price is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138147 Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I've always been a little leery about motherboards with no MOSFET coolers. (The MOSFETs are the power chips located to the left of the socket.) If you're going to get that board I suggest you also get some MOSFET heatsinks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=2010110572 1374026251 1374128783&name=Mosfet

Or you can get this board, which is an excellent OC'er and has a MOSFET cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

I take it trying to OC even after getting the new CPU cooler didn't turn out so good ...?

Well, the new fan definitely keeps its a lot cooler, typical idle temp is around 20C. I couldn't get a stable overclock with a higher multiplier. I've been looking around for answers to what's truly holding me back in my setup and all I can come up with is the lack of capability of my NB it seems. Any adjustments to that makes the system act funny. Either that or I just can't figure out the formula for poper power increases. I slept on it last night and I think I'm going to keep on with what I have and figure it out along the way. It still seems like I'm doing well for what I paid for my system in all.

Thanks for your input though. I'm going to bookmark the links you showed and I'll keep those in mind if/when I decide I do want a better motherboard.

I am suspect of the temps you report. 20C idle is about 69F. What is the temp of your computing room (ambient temp)? What are you using to monitor the temps? The cpu and electronics inside the case would add something to ambient. Normally, even with a very good cpu cooler the cpu/core temp will run 5-10C above ambient temp with air cooling at idle, especially on an overclocked CPU. Also, there is a general consensus of opinion that a 64-bit OS inhibits overclocking.

Well, I was just going off of Core Temp readings for only the CPU I'm guessing. I get different readings all around depending on what I use. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Core Temp was off a little because it never reads the voltage increases of my CPU. But I did see the change in temps when I installed the new HSF (properly). I'm still holding out hope that I can pull >3.1 on this system, I just need to find the right combination of multipliers, CPU clock speed, and voltages.

CoreTemp is designed to show the BIOS vCore setting and nothing else - it does not display the dynamic vCore like CPU-Z usually does. I've found CoreTemp to be very accurate, don't discount it lightly ... ;)

Back