• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do I need to reinstall Vista or smash it with a hammer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

OK..

two days ago I got and Installed Vista home premium on my main computer.
I had intended to remove my overclock before the install but I was to excited (and distracted) and forgot to do so. But since every thing was rock solid stable in XP I really did not worry.

well the vista install went smoothly. So I started to install my programs. well when I got to installing Adobe reader every thing went wonky. As Adobe was starting to install ---BSOD:mad::bang head

The BSOD flashed by so quickly I was not able to read the error but I was able to read "Memory..."
So I am guessing that their was a memory corruption or something. I restarted and tried to install Adobe again and same BSOD. (still flashed by quick)

Even while overclocked My memory was running 13% under rated speed.

I have since booted back into XP (separate hard drive) and yet again no problems.

SO:
Should I kill my OC and delete and reinstall Vista?

Well even at stock speeds the same thing happened while trying to install Adobe...

But this time I had my HD video camera ready.... This is the BSOD I got: BSOD.JPG

I am rather surprised that no one offered any more advice to my issue.... Oh well I guess that is the way things go sometimes.

Any way>

I dropped my system back to stock speeds and did a new fresh install. So far so good. I figure I will install All my normal used programs before I restart my over clock.
I would also guess that a 64bit OS will react differently to a over clock than a 32 bit OS

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE NICE

When you restart your overclock, start low and build it back up. I'd treat this as a new machine, and overclock accordingly. There's no reason a 64bit O/S would be any better or worse than 32bit with regards to overclocking.

I'm getting outside of my area of knowledge here, but I think Vista uses random memory registers for security purposes. XP wrote certain parts of the O/S to same register every time, and that could be exploited by malware. My theory is that Vista is more susceptible to flaky ram, as there's more of a chance of hitting a bad spot than there was in XP. I might be completely off base here, but that's where I stand :^D

When you restart your overclock, start low and build it back up. I'd treat this as a new machine, and overclock accordingly. There's no reason a 64bit O/S would be any better or worse than 32bit with regards to overclocking.

I'm getting outside of my area of knowledge here, but I think Vista uses random memory registers for security purposes. XP wrote certain parts of the O/S to same register every time, and that could be exploited by malware. My theory is that Vista is more susceptible to flaky ram, as there's more of a chance of hitting a bad spot than there was in XP. I might be completely off base here, but that's where I stand :^D

I have know idea... but you may be on to something there...
Surching around on the Internet for help with my problem... one guy thought my error was not related to physical memory but instead to virtual memory.

Can any one prove or dis-prove this? And if it is a virtual memory issue could it fall to a bad or corrupted driver?
This time I have tried to install the manufactures drivers not the ones provided by Windows update.

Physical memory is a component of virtual memory, so you can't really separate the 2. I'm not skilled at interpreting BSODs, but I always check ram first. I've personally had ram issues cause the most BSODs, and it's easy to check.

More directly to your issue, perhaps your chipset drivers were off? That would directly affect memory management.

Physical memory is a component of virtual memory, so you can't really separate the 2. I'm not skilled at interpreting BSODs, but I always check ram first. I've personally had ram issues cause the most BSODs, and it's easy to check.

More directly to your issue, perhaps your chipset drivers were off? That would directly affect memory management.

Well This time i did use the latest Nvidia motherboard drivers ... Maybe that will help

Well it happened again....

And I think my antiviral software is to blame. I tried to install Steam. SAME BSOD as before.

Rebooted into safe mode and un-installed my antiviral software. Rebooted normally and reinstated the windows firewall and then tried to install steam again. Flawless install.....

The anti virus software is: Panda Global protection 2010.

Please give me your opinion of why this could be the issue...(wife is dragging me to social event or I would explain more at his time.....)

I don't know precisely, but software vendors generally tell you to disable A/V before installing their software. I admit I never do that, but it is recommended.

I wonder if there is a confect between firewalls....?

EDIT: No....Conflict between anti virus softwares.
Windows Defender never got turned off.....

I have now "killed" windows defender. Re-installed PANDA Global Protection 2010. And have installed stuff with out a problem (so far -crossing fingers).

Any one willing or able to confirm or deny my latest idea??

(dont you just lonve watching an ADD mind at work----LOOK there is a chicken!!)

Last edited:
well all was fine... for a while. installed a few small programs without a hitch...but when i tried to install Open-office...BSOD!!! (starting to feel defeated hear)

Well After more googling I decided to up the voltage on my memory....And did a full hard disk scan.

Well... I just installed Open Office with out a hitch...

Still open to new ideas.....

Now I just got a NEW BSOD trying to extract CPUZ zip...........

#$#&!!! VISTA. Biggest waist of $100 I ever spent.
I am going back to XP PRO 32bit.... it is not perfect bit at least it works!!!!

Last edited:
lol something is playing up.
my Vista experience has been much more enjoyable than XP...especially how XP looks dull compared to Vista. aside from the OS skin, i've never had problems with Vista, but i get the occasional BSOD - but i just treat it as a hiccup.

just want to confirm a few things:
was this a complete new install? - as in...on a new harddrive, or did you format the drive before intsalling Vista, or did you buy the Vista update edition.
also, have you redownloaded programs which have 64bit specific versions? (guess you're using 64bit from your 5th post)
you will need to redownload motherboard drivers, graphics drivers, software firewalls/antivirus etc etc.

lol something is playing up.
my Vista experience has been much more enjoyable than XP...especially how XP looks dull compared to Vista. aside from the OS skin, i've never had problems with Vista, but i get the occasional BSOD - but i just treat it as a hiccup.

just want to confirm a few things:
was this a complete new install? - as in...on a new harddrive, or did you format the drive before intsalling Vista, or did you buy the Vista update edition.
also, have you redownloaded programs which have 64bit specific versions? (guess you're using 64bit from your 5th post)
you will need to redownload motherboard drivers, graphics drivers, software firewalls/antivirus etc etc.

After a restless night of sleep maybe I am able to be less agitated....

To answer your questions:
No upgrade edition here....Complete 64 bit home premium edition.
Old (existing) hard drive, Partitions wiped -new partitions made - reformatted,
Yes i have been doing my best to find the latest 64bit supported drivers and programs. (But programs like "Open Office" say it is Vista compatible but I could not find a specific 32 or 64 bit version.)
And Panda Anti virus claims compatibility with either 64 or 32 bit....

I am running Memtest from my Ubuntu install disk As I type this... I will let it run for most of the day.

I will Reluctantly accept a BSOD every 6-8 months. But 8 of them in a mater of 3 days is simply unexceptional.

When you install your proggies do you install it from an optical drive (cdrom/dvdrom)? If so, then it could be the drive may need cleaning and/or program disks need cleaning. Another thing is to swap cables.

I had this problem numerous times when installing software. Swapped out the optical drive and problem solved. Now using a program and getting a BSOD is either hardware related or the proggy is corrupted.

Aside from Vista its self every thing has been downloaded. (so far) I not afraid to start from scratch again -- just a pain in the rear to do so.

So if i am having this much trouble with software written with 64bit architecture in mind.... how much trouble will I have if i were to try and install some older software that was written before 64bit became popular. (because my original impression was that I should not have any issues)

please don't suggest messing with my IDE cables....The way I have them routed makes it very hard to access..... As for cleaning the drive....not as big of a deal.... but any real time consuming thing like that will need to wait until later. (New term has started and I have lots of home work already....that will teach me for taking back two back classes with one of my schools notoriously hard professes)

>>memtest passed round one<<

Last edited:
Some programs won't work with 64 bit, if they are that old. You can try compatability mode, but that doesn't always work. I know I have some older programs that work fine. Antivirus or other system programs are some that may have issues and then you don't really want to run in compatability with those.

Back