• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT IP-35 and 8GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghuber

Hi,

I hope, somebody can help me, I am getting desperate:

After I installed my Zotac GTX260 card Vista x64 refused to boot and I got BSOD after BSOD. Even memtest86 crashed seconds after commencing the tests.

When I removed one of my 4 Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2-800 sticks, reverting back to 6 GB, everything worked fine again.

I checked several forums and was initially told, that the ABIT board was pretty picky with high performance memory and I should either exchange the memory (no real option) or the mainboard.

After browsing more forums (including this one) I got the impression that P35 boards in general weren't too comfortable with 8GB present. The suggestions (also in this forum) is to increase the MCH voltage.

I have tried to increase the voltage from the stock 1.25 V to 1.45 already (in small steps) and noticed that Vista seemed to boot longer before crashing. However I did't dare to go beyond 1.45V MCH.

My CPU is a Intel Pentium E2160 (stock 9x200) which I oc'd to 9x333. However even at stock speed (FSB200), Vista would crash during bootup.

As I said, I use 2x BL2KIT25664AA80A of Crucial Ballistix Memory (5-5-5-15 2V or 4-4-4-12@2V).

My full sysspecs:

Pentium Dual Core E2160 (333x9)
2x BL2KIT25664AA80A Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 tried 1.8V and 2.1V
Zotac Geforce 260-216 shader
Silverstone ST75ZF (750W) PSU
Abit IP-35 Mobo (non Pro)
4 Samsung HDDs (2x500; 2x250GB)
1 Pioneer DVD
1 LG BluRay/HDDVD
Thermaltake Tower with add'l fan

Can you tell me "optimized" settings for the Voltage? How far can I go up with MCH without frying my components?

Will I need to raise VCore (I think it's stock+1 step up), or the SB Voltage and/or FSB Volt? What else may require tuning?

Please help me, I am really getting desperate...

In the event that nothing works, what would a good replacement mobo be (P45/X38)?

Thank you so much for your help!

Georg

Another idea would be that Ballistix memory had a bad batch and is known to go bad. It might be an idea to memtest each stick separately...you might have a bad stick or multiple bad ones.

Back