• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canadian Flag waves in HWBot Top 10!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

3oh6

hwbot_banner-2.png

with a big push the last week, i have finally managed to put the Canadian flag in the HWBot top ten. a killer CPU, a lot of help, some long long hours, and very little to no sleep the last few days has accomplished my goal. i would first like to thank HardwareCanucks.com as they have been the driving force behind a lot of my success. without the opportunities Mike and the gang have provided, the goal wouldn't have been accomplished 🆙

another special shout out to MSI Canada, in particular William. in the last push for the top 10, MSI stepped up with 4 x MSI R4890 Cyclone OC's. i don't have a big budget and no sponsorship so for MSI to come through at the last minute in such a rush for something like this, it really is appreciated. these were the final pieces of the puzzle to making this happen for Canada. it may sound like nothing special for getting into the top 10 but for Canada and Canadian overclocking, this is a big day.

now, on to some screen shots and photos of the final push...

cyclone-1.jpg

as mentioned, MSI really came through in supporting Canadian overclocking and managed to get four MSI R4890 Cyclone OC's in my hands. the cards are clocked in at 880/975 with a special cooler and non-reference design. both the non-reference design and special coolers actually work against me for my purposes as getting four of those into the Classy wasn't easy, and non-reference means no software volt mods.

it does however mean that the normal end user gets a beefier card and cooling...with no squealing from what i could hear. i will mention one thing, there needs to be more mounting pressure on the heat sinks. adding thin plastic washers to the back side made a night and day difference with these cards and their temps for me.

installing 4 x MSI R4890 Cyclone's in the Classified
...is definitely not an easy thing to do, but possible. obviously an HR-03 Rev.A is the first part that is needed, and a couple spacers to keep the second card off the third.

click for full size...

to say there is a bit of an angle to the cards - primarily the third one - is quite an understatement. the spacers on each side of the second heat sink at the top and bottom were necessary to keep the fan off the back of the third card. reference cards are much easier to mount in a setup like this but with the washer mods, these heat sinks stay cool as a cucumber with the fans turned up a bit...even jammed in here like this.

preparation is the key to success
...and preparation is half the battle.

click for full size...

all benchers know, preparation is what makes a good session go smoothly. before running any LN2 on the CPU, i shake down the cards and setup on phase first at -30C ~ -35C. this will allow me to find GPU clocks for each bench, setup the OS, get RivaTuner shortcuts setup, and the final clocks - minus the high CPU multi - dialed in for the LN2 run. then the OS's go off to the imaging farm ready for fixing borked OS's so no down time is lost to OS corruptions when under LN2.

unfortunately the MSI R4890 Cyclone's i have are just the "OC" version so there was no 1000/1000 clocks out of the box that the SOC version offers. i also didn't have access to software volt mods due to a lack of reference design. so my GPU clocks looked to max out around 920/1050. having volt mods with this beefy PWM design would definitely make these cards powerful. perhaps a hard mod is in the future for them. needless to say, the setup is ready for cold...

tear down and setup up...again...this time for real
...with the new kingpincooling.com F1EE - thanks again OCA - mounted on my W3540 and Classified, the cards were all laid out ready for setup.

click for full size...

in the end, i used two different setups. halfway through benching one night things went south and i think it was the Corsair HX1000W. so i added a third PSU to the mix at one point for the ultimate ghetto rig benching. with my drug induced friends watching over me, it was time to fire up the rig and pull down temps.

"time for some action...time for some action..."
...with N.E.R.D.'s Seeing Sounds que'd up, it was benching time 🆙

4 x MSI R4890 Cyclone OC
click for full size...

these results came within a 20 hour span with the 05 and AM3 happening literally within minutes of each other. after i hammered out the 05, the setup went to shyt and almost 20 hours later, on my last 4L-5L of LN2, i fired the rig back up and got a safe 06 done. needless to say, that 06 has a little bit left in it if things go well on Monday. these were my multi-card runs with the MSI R4890 Cyclone's. earlier this week, i hammered off some solid single card runs with an EVGA GTX295 as well as a couple 2D results to setup for the final push.

Single EVGA GTX295
click for full size...

2D 32M & wPrime
click for full size...

overall, it has been a great week. a lot of effort culminating in an achieved goal for Canada, and for myself as well. again, a big thanks to Mike from HardwareCanucks.com for everything he has done for me and overclocking in Canada, MSI Canada, Vince & Andre as well as the rest of Team PURE...and specially to Brian.Y for putting up with me yesterday on messenger. i thought i was having a bad day until he put things into perspective :D

cyclone-11.jpg

thanks...just a small update from tonight to sneak back into the top 10, for now.

_MG_3392.jpg

running 06 at -105C +/-...
_MG_3395.jpg

and the screens...
am3_403956_5460-1.png

05_50426_5575-1.png

06_37927_5352-1.png

thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

yes, the coolers are pretty damn good on these cards...but the mounting isn't the best. as i said, i had to put washers on the backside to increase pressure as a couple of the cards were really hot. two minutes and $0.20 worth of washers and they were tight and a lot cooler. i wish i had a reference 4890 here to do some side by side comparisons but i don't have access to one.

thanks guys, just finished up the second 30L dewar i had been working with for these runs so here is the last of this setup for a bit. other soon to be released stuff needs my attention ;)

keep in mind, this is literally the 2nd or 3rd 32M run i have completed with this chip so excuse the lack of efficiency i normally bring to the table. i will sit down with this guy at some point and do it properly.

first a photo of the setup as usual...

_MG_3396.jpg

and a pitiful 1M...but who really cares about 1M anyway :D

1m_7-344s_5598-1.png

i hang my head in shame...yes i know it is still crazy, sub 6m 30s, but when all you have cared about is efficiency in 32M for the last how many years...posting this hurts

32m_6m29s_5575-1.png

Whoops, looks like you've forgotten your 01 runs. :)
haha, if it was worth running, i would have ;)

you need uber GPU clocks to make up for the Nature weakness i7 displays in 01. it might be worth doing a quick single GTX295 check next time i am at speed though. can't say as i have seen too many 01 runs up at 5.5GHz on i7. highest i've done is a single GTX260 under LN2 at 5350MHz...

xocss-6.png

damn, no you have me wanting to go fill the dewar just to run 01 on i7 :D

Outstanding job Jody.

It's very hard work (with a little luck) to make the top 10 these days. Two+ years ago you just need LN2 on the cpu and an ok chip.
Now you need the cooling the right chip, board, cards, lots of skill, even more time, etc etc.

Well done mate :clap:

Back