• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats better!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kfat

Registered
i hate a amd 6400+ black edition cpu running at 3.49 ghz i am wondering is a amd 9950 cpu is any better if coverclocked to about 3.0ghz? whats better?

Depends on what you are doing with the CPU, if you need the power of a quad core, than yeah the 9950 can be a bit better, but most applications take up to 2 cores these days.

BTW I would suggest going with a Phenom II cpu rather than a Phenom I.

:welcome: to the forums btw!

i only have the asus crosshair am2 bord i want gaming preformance rely

If you're looking for a gaming rig stick with the one you have, a 9950BE won't help. No doubt the 920/940BE would do much better but since ASUS doesn't show support for them you're kind of stuck.

However, I have as yet to see a board that will run a 9950BE that can't run a 920/940BE - but it's still a crap-shoot since it's a BIOS limitation, not a board limitation. Sometimes there's no problem at all, sometimes the BIOS is confused but the settings are all there, sometimes some BIOS settings aren't available or work oddly (which might limit your OC). The 590 chipsets are very quirky when it comes to Phenom II - are you feeling lucky ...? ;)

Last edited:
Does the support list have the Phenom I's? If it is an Am2 board, it really shouldn't be able to run a Phenom I and not a Phenom II. :shrug:

the surport list for my bord sais it will run a 9950 no problem(with a bios flash)

Well if you'r looking for a gaming PC then you don't need it, because almost no games are using 4 cores. Mostly using 1 core. Some 2 cores. And very little 4 cores. So better to wait and then buy a whole new system with am3/1336 slots.

Agreed with Newn. If you get the 9950, it will probably be a downgrade for gaming use. The lower clocks of the quad would mean lower performance.

Stick with the dual core for gaming. Your dual core at 3.49ghz will not be any kind of bottleneck for any current game out there right now. Your GPU might be the cork, but not the CPU.

Back