• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error-checking a disk is eating up all my memory in Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
EDIT: Windows 8 fixed this problem which was still present in Windows 7 as of 2014.

I simply right clicked on an external drive > Properties > Tools > Check Now and CHECK both options. The operation was eating up all my RAM. Trying to open up other folders on the computer resulted in a black screen. I have 3 GB of RAM on an i7@4GHz.

When the scan finished, Memory usage went back down, everything went back to normal. What's going on?

EDIT: Would you please confirm this if you have Windows 7 + a large External drive. [Mine was a 200GB drive in a USB enclosure.]
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 680 MHz GPU & 2100 MHz Memory
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
So I guess this is first hand evidence that this Windows 7 RTM bug is somewhat serious as it means we cannot check any external drives for errors using Windows 7.

If we can all connect a (large) external drive to Windows 7, do what I did, then run out of memory to the point of getting black screens... well then this is a bug. True/False? :)

I simply right clicked on an external drive > Properties > Tools > Check Now and CHECK both options. The operation was eating up all my RAM. Trying to open up other folders on the computer resulted in a black screen.

When the scan finished, Memory usage went back down, everything went back to normal. What's going on?

Well hang on. You need to come out and agree or not that this is a... reproducible bug.

Editor's Note http://www.overclockers.com/index.p...they-improve-it&catid=58:software&Itemid=4264 says: Other sources, have contradicting info noting the memory usage is by design.

There would be nothing contradicting if we all agreed that this is a reproducible bug. You can't scan a (large) external drive and use Windows 7 at the same time!

Someone else can print the term "by design" in an article somewhere sure then whistle away... :D

But here at OCForums if we all get black screens because our memory usage is through the roof, yeah it's by the design... by design to render Windows 7 unusable while its scanning an external drive.

It's a bug. A flaw. And it needs to be patched.

Someone else can print the term "by design" in an article somewhere sure then whistle away... :D

But here at OCForums if we all get black screens because our memory usage is through the roof, yeah it's by the design... by design to render Windows 7 unusable while its scanning an external drive.

It's a bug. A flaw. And it needs to be patched.

Well, you are repairing a drive... Has anyone tried this in XP?

I have a triple boot. Windows XP and Windows Vista are fine doing exactly the same thing on the same system.

It's almost March 2010 and this Windows 7 bug has still not been fixed.

I just tried to Error-check an external drive in Windows 7 and it's still running out of RAM black screening. Rebooted into Windows XP and no problem doing the same.

So we can't scan external drives if we use Windows 7 and they're not going to do anything about it?

Back