• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System restarts for no reason!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frost19k

Registered
Hey guys.

I am having a little problem with my computer and was wondering if you could help.

I run a i7-920 on a DX58SO and recently the comp has started to restart, on its own.
When i switch it on this is what happens.

Start> Mobo Splash Screen> Restart> Desktop> Restart within 10 mins.

Any ideas as to what is causing this?

You should check the stickies on computer emergencies and what to do when the PC doesn't start, but nvm.
Did you overclock it?
If you have, then it would be wise if you just reset your CMOS, by taking your battery off and short-circuiting the appropriate pins with a jumper.
Also, are there any beeps?
If there are, you can consult the beep FAQ here.
Did it work properly before that, and if yes, did you notice anything strange?

I've had over clocking force restarts, but that's usually after a BSOD until I disabled restarts. It could be a bad PSU or other hardware or even a bad driver. What kind of PSU do you have and can you get your hands on another to try?

Yeah the PSU slipped my mind. It could be insufficent or defective. Can you give us full system specs? You could have a very energy consuming VGA paired with a weak PSU, which causes that. You could also try and remove every non-critical computer component and see if it boots.

Hi Daddyjaxx & soulis101: Thank you very much for replying. Apparently I told Intel Desktop Control Center to automatically Overclock my CPU and it was commanding restarts.

Anyway, I Switched it off and now every thing is OK.

Thanx again

Back