• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

preferred 1.5-2tb drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I have 2 Seagate 1.5TB drives (ST31500341AS) right now and I have not been happy with them. They seem to hang occasionally and hence kind of stink for streaming video as you will get hangs in the video every once in a while.

I was wondering what 1.5tb drives other people are using that they have been happy with?

Love the 1TB caviar blacks myself, the RE4 is a great drive, caviar greens are a bit slower but pretty nice still.

greens are the best but they tend to command a price premium. Personally my favorite 1.5tb drive now is the samsung F2 because you are guaranteed 3 500gb platters. Western Digital has a habit of not changing drive names when they move up in platter size so there is a mix out there and seagate has no 500gb platter 1.5tb drives.

When you move up to 2tb drives western digital is the obvious choice

Just a few questions:

1. What size has the best $/GB ratio?
2. Which is the quietest drives in idle and when seeking?
3. Which has the lowest heat output?

1. - Right now here it would be 1.5TB Samu. (but I had 1 gone BS of two in my raid within warranty period, sold them right after replacement arrived. then 2 years I bought a 500GB one which seemd to do rather well in $/P but chip on the pcb exploded on me within a year, so I can't recommend them).

2. - Check out Silentpcreview.com

3. - Most reviews include this data on Anandtech, probably some other sites as well but can't recall any right now.

Back