• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Six-Core Desktop Processor.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CharlieCS

Advanced Micro Devices is preparing a desktop processor with six processing engines, sources familiar with the company’s plans revealed. The new central processing units (CPUs) will not be available this year, but are likely to boost performance of AMD’s desktop platforms sometime in 2010.

AMD’s processor code-named Thuban is the company’s first desktop processor with six processing engines. The microprocessors will be compatible with socket AM3 infrastructure and will have integrated dual-channel PC3-10600 (DDR3 1333MHz) memory controller. It is very likely that Thuban processors will retain AMD Phenom II brand name as well as design of the code-named Istanbul chips for servers, thus, will feature 3MB L2 cache (512KB per core) and 6MB of L3 cache. The chips will be made using 45nm SOI fabrication process.

Full story : Xbitlabs

Pretty cool i guess , alot of people might say six cores will be useless for desktops and i will partially agree but everyone was saying that when quads came out and most people are now adapting quads if they are upgrading .Myself i much prefer that a workstation dual socket 790FX would be released , it would directly compete with Nehalem in the same price segment and not just Price/performance segment .

Your thoughts ?

Myself i much prefer that a workstation dual socket 790FX would be released , it would directly compete with Nehalem in the same price segment and not just Price/performance segment .
Your thoughts ?

Interesting considering they denied it a few months ago. Will see the clocks, I bet most people would be better off with higher clocks than 2 more cores.

Still a good move takes them little to no effort to bring it to the desktop so why not, a pity DDR3 only I guess.

Concerning FASN8, it would be L1N64 all over again, higher power draw than single socket intel system, so I don't think they would release it, if enthusiasts want them they can get one of the new server mobos due early next year.
They have their hands full anyway, no notebook cpu out yet, propus several times pushed back still MIA, no netbook cpu.
Those are far more important than an enthusiast solution when even on this forum people debate go quad or not, i7 or not. I hope release a netbook without crippling it like atom with useable gpu, that would make them more money.

Last edited:
I wonder if it'll still have a DDR2 controller. This may be the first AM3 only CPU.

EDIT:
I, for one, like the idea of 3xFAH-smp :D

AMD WOW!

How will this match up against Intel?

6 cores and hyperthreading. I can't wait to see it. I want one.

This is a 45nm 6 core Phenom II. Thanks but no thanks AMD. I already have a hard enough time to cool the Quad I got. If AMD manage to get their processor in line, then I would rather have faster quad cores than six. Shall we say 4 GHz stock?

As for the Leo platform with 14 SATA ports? I thought 8 port on my RAID card was too much. More does not equal better.

Interesting considering they denied it a few months ago. Will see the clocks, I bet most people would be better off with higher clocks than 2 more cores.

Still a good move takes them little to no effort to bring it to the desktop so why not, a pity DDR3 only I guess.

Concerning FASN8, it would be L1N64 all over again, higher power draw than single socket intel system, so I don't think they would release it, if enthusiasts want them they can get one of the new server mobos due early next year.
They have their hands full anyway, no notebook cpu out yet, propus several times pushed back still MIA, no netbook cpu.
Those are far more important than an enthusiast solution when even on this forum people debate go quad or not, i7 or not. I hope release a netbook without crippling it like atom with useable gpu, that would make them more money.

Power consumption will not matter to people who would consider such a board and server boards lack features that enthusiast want , granted i have no experience with multi socket boards i still think that that kind of platform would directly compete with X58 platform .

As to propus am not sure who thought that propus is a good idea , i consider it rather useless , but i completely agree that AMD should create a better mobile platform , they have some mobile chips 1.6 GHz neo and i saw a Gateway netbook with 1.2GHz Athlon the GPu was ATI Radeon® X1270 but most people dont even know it exists .

This is a 45nm 6 core Phenom II. Thanks but no thanks AMD. I already have a hard enough time to cool the Quad I got. If AMD manage to get their processor in line, then I would rather have faster quad cores than six. Shall we say 4 GHz stock?

As for the Leo platform with 14 SATA ports? I thought 8 port on my RAID card was too much. More does not equal better.

There is a bit more to it SB850 will support Sata 3 , USB 3 and have a gigabit lan on board making platform more affordable among other things, am sure better power saving features will be implemented as well. Basic user will not benefit from more cores i agree but intel will be releasing a 6 core chip as well , and soon there should be a big push for use of multithreading in apps .

I would've been happier with an architecture advance. I mean that I want to see a little more from AMD than adding more cores to the same processor pattern. Tho I aknowledge that turning a quad core into a six core is not an easy job and launching the first six core desktop cpu is an achievement.

I would've been happier with an architecture advance. I mean that I want to see a little more from AMD than adding more cores to the same processor pattern. Tho I aknowledge that turning a quad core into a six core is not an easy job and launching the first six core desktop cpu is an achievement.

It could always be just the beginning of something new.
6 cores would be more valuable in a server environment, don't you guys think?

Power consumption will not matter to people who would consider such a board and server boards lack features that enthusiast want , granted i have no experience with multi socket boards i still think that that kind of platform would directly compete with X58 platform.

Power consumption does matter if performance is similar that was one of the reason why their last dual enthusiast mobo failed, I don't think they would do better next year against 32nm Intel cpus.

As to propus am not sure who thought that propus is a good idea , i consider it rather useless , but i completely agree that AMD should create a better mobile platform , they have some mobile chips 1.6 GHz neo and i saw a Gateway netbook with 1.2GHz Athlon the GPu was ATI Radeon® X1270 but most people dont even know it exists.

Propus goes against intel duallies with HT, as duals are the bestsellers and that trend will likely continue with i3,i5 AMD needs something with similar performance and price.

I would've been happier with an architecture advance.

Deneb isn't out for a year, even for Intel it takes 2 years to release new archs, AMD does quite good on the desktop compared to other market segments.

It could always be just the beginning of something new.
6 cores would be more valuable in a server environment, don't you guys think?

That's why they launched them as server cpus first.
Maybe they know something we don't and feel that they have to offer this, or maybe just because they can with little effort.

I'd personally find 6 cores to be great. For a person like me who does media type work (3d rendering, animations, etc), the more cores the better! And I won't be upgrading from this setup for at least half a year, so that may well be my next build! I second GrimX9's statement! Though, for me its 'whens it gonna be on *insert australian computer store site here* and when can i buy it' :p.

'd personally find 6 cores to be great. For a person like me who does media type work (3d rendering, animations, etc), the more cores the better!

Odd that you got stuck with 3 cores for that type of work, I would be using Gainestown, later Beckton, most likely in dual... ;)

Odd that you got stuck with 3 cores for that type of work, I would be using Gainestown, later Beckton, most likely in dual... ;)

At the time it was a decent upgrade, and it was the most I could afford lol. From a 6400 non-be. We're doing a lot of theory work at the moment for class and the animations and such we are doing are fairly low-end.. So its fine for the moment.. It still renders about 4-5 times faster than the imacs at tafe lol. (they're 2.4 dualies).

A 2.66 Ghz 4-core 8-thread Nehalem processor is still going to be faster than a 2.6 Ghz 6-core Istanbul processor, but Nehalem will also draw more power. They are about equivalent in performance-per-watt:

ssj-overall.gif

hmm i guess i could skip over using quads and go straight to 6 ers
but that would require a full upgrade instead of doing just a processor

Back